DIVA: Jetbird and the Kid #3

deucexm deucexm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 09:28:43 PDT 2015

Inspired by my ability to finish a Medley page in roughly three hours when I
cleared my mind of other distractions, I have continued work on one of my personal
projects.  Thus, BEHOLD!  The latest segment of the title that shouldn't come as
any surprise since you probably clicked on it from the main list:

===

Jetbird Leone and the Black Mamba Kid: A DiVerse Alpha Chronicle
by Colin Stokes

Chapter 3: A Real Big Deal

===

Free of the trunk, at least for the moment, the Kid was able to pay a little more
attention to the surroundings this time as the three of them proceeded onward - out
of the living room and into a large stone courtyard with a fountain in its center.
It was a sign of extravagance to have purified water flowing out in the open,
exposed to the elements of the frontier, and the Kid quietly mentioned as much.
   "Lawson family tradition," Miriam explained, with a vaguely pained expression
that spoke volumes about her private thoughts on the matter.  "Grandfather thought
it necessary to remind any visitors of our wealth, perhaps in order to humble them.
I've never been able to truly understand all of his motives."
   Jetbird smiled cheerily, in marked contrast to the slight gloom of his
companions.  "Well, it sure is a fine sight to see, Ms. Miriam!  I reckon it'd
brighten anyone's day to behold such, how do you say, poetry in motion."
   The Lawson lady couldn't help but return that infectious smile.  "Perhaps so,
Mr. Cortland, perhaps so - though you two are the first to see it in some time.
I'm not the sort to entertain visitors very often, I'm afraid."
   "Might not be a bad idea," Jetbird returned, perfectly flippant except for the
slight twinkle of scheming in his eyes.  "But we ought to move on to business, I
suppose, before my laconic partner here reminds me to do just that."
   "Quite," the Kid added dryly.  And so on they went, past the fountain and up to
a small and unobtrusive stone archway tucked away in one corner of the courtyard.
A rather ornate gate of metal painted a slightly weathered white barred further
entry; it was in better shape than the fence outside, at least.
   Miriam unlocked and opened the gate and led the party down a flight of spiraling
stone steps, pausing briefly to push a button that sent soft blue-white light
crackling down a series of tubes high up the walls.  At the bottom of the stairs
in front of a heavy-looking metal door with 'KEEP OUT' painted in large red block
letters, she turned around with a slightly grim expression.  "I've been told it's
quite dangerous beyond this point, gentlemen, and while I don't trust my family's
hired men completely, I suspect they're not /entirely/ perfidious on that account.
Do be careful."
   "That we shall, Ms. Miriam, that we shall," Jetbird returned as brightly as
ever, resting one hand on the sullen gray doorknob, the metal cool to the touch.
There was a soft vibration, too, just barely noticeable - to him, anyway - so at
least something in there was still operating.  Well, of course, otherwise the town
would've run out of water by now...  "Ready for another adventure, Kid?"
   The Kid simply smiled one of his wry smiles and shook his head.  "Never change,
Cor.  Lead on."
   The basement door opened with a loud whine of protest as Jetbird gave it a firm
pull, the metallic squeal setting the Kid on edge involuntarily and provoking a
slight twitch of those coal-black eyelids.  Inside was only darkness, and a low,
softly echoing mechanical growl.  Miriam kept well away from the entrance, watching
at a distance.
   "Can't see a thing in here, but I can already tell you part of the problem,
ma'am," Jetbird began, motioning to the Kid briefly before turning his head to
regard the Lawson lady.  "Filtration system shouldn't be making a sound like that.
Town's only been here for what, three or four cycles?  Everything else being equal,
thing like this oughtta last you ten, maybe even fifteen before it needs any sort
of work on it."  He smiled lightly, though his eyes seemed much more serious.
"'Course, that assumes this was all set up /properly/, with the best filter money
can buy and whatnot."
   The Kid slipped a little white tube out of his jacket and gave it a quick bite,
producing a quiet *snap*.  Moments later, it started to glow with a steady silvery
brilliance; and he held it up as he leaned into the room, looking around the corner
for the lantern-hanging typical of rooms of this sort.
   "I can assure you that the installation was completed with only the best -
machinery, tools, /and/ personnel," Miriam returned with what might have been a
slight hint of peevishness, once she stopped staring at the Kid's light show.
"When new ground is broken, we leave nothing to chance.  Only afterwards are the
members of the family... given the chance to prove their resourcefulness."
   More like hung out to dry, or thrown in deep water and forced to swim, the Kid
didn't say as he set the glowing tube in the lantern fixture and surveyed the room.
Jetbird's case wasn't atypical as far as treatment went in the big families, after
all; blood ties wouldn't protect anyone considered a liability - not for long, in
any case.  Of course, most offspring didn't have their heads all muddled up by the
Pillar, so he was singular in that regard.  ... Probably.
   "I reckon you'll be looking mighty resourceful once all this is done, then,"
Jetbird returned with a brighter smile.  "How's it look in there, Kid?"
   "Before I say anything - ma'am," the Kid began quietly, turning to address
Miriam, "your folks did a survey here, did they not?  About the level of
contamination you might expect?"
   The Lawson lady nodded firmly.  "Class 2B, I remember quite clearly from the
reports.  Certainly nothing of undue concern."
   "And you trust those reports completely?"
   Miriam paused for only a moment before replying.  "I've no reason not to.  Our
surveyors are worth their weight in gold, and we treat them accordingly.  What
prompted that question?"
   "Ma'am," the Kid began in a tone just a touch more somber than usual, "your
filter here's almost worn out 'cause it's takin' in two to three times the poison
it was built to handle.  If your folks are as good as you say, there's only two
ways I can see this comin' about.  One, your well runs deeper than your survey and
you've tapped into some heavier stuff - and I hope that's it."
   "And the alternative, Mr. Kid?"
   "Somebody's poisonin' your well," he returned flatly.
   Miriam's eyes narrowed sharply, both men getting a glimpse of the steel hiding
beneath the silk.  The Kid remained as dispassionate as ever, but Jetbird smiled
faintly.  "Well now, neither of those options seem too pleasant, do they?  Though
the latter's, how you say, something of a big deal."
   "Indeed, Mr. Cortland," the Lawson lady returned coolly.  "A /real/ big deal.
However, there still remains the foremost problem of /fixing/ the system, which is
why I need you two.  Can it be done?  And if not, how long does the town have?"
   "A single cycle, no more," the Kid returned, stepping into the filtration room
and heading toward the three overflow tanks.
   Jetbird nodded his agreement, likewise crossing the threshold of the room, but
going no further.  "The Kid's estimate is about right, I think, judging by the
sound your system's making.  It's a good thing you got us when you did, or you'd
have a /much/ more interesting time trying to hold things together!"
   "But you /can/ fix it," Miriam persisted, "can you not?"
   "I wouldn't want to give you false hope, ma'am," Jetbird replied gently, "so
I'll wait for my partner's verdict.  But I'm a pretty hopeful sort, myself."
   The Lawson lady's lips twisted into a slightly wry smile.  "That you are, Mr.
Cortland, that you most certainly are."