SW10/WWW: Powernaut 2005 #39: Ah! The Romance of Arabia!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Jul 2 10:27:49 PDT 2015

But this isn't how he pictured it...  Powernaut 2005 continues!

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2005f.htm#39

Bonus Section:  Commentary  from Wyatt Ferguson!    Belgium and the Tip
Jar

All the links here can be found under  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/ .

I found the bartender was Belgian. I have a sense for these things,
especially when the beers on tap are mostly Stella Artois... Belgium had
accepted the "Coalition" concession contract for this occupation.

(Don't get me going on "Coalition". I'd just been through a reality
shift. In my previous world, it took the whole United Nations to
garrison Iraq after a four-way civil war.)

The Belgian bartender had a tip jar out. I knew this was not usual for
Belgians; they just make the beer more expensive, as was the case there.
But the defense contractors who'd passed our way before us had taught
this bartender to passively ask for tips.

Aw, crap. When America mingles with the world, sometimes we get the
worst of both worlds. And that's not even counting the people outside
the mingle zone.

I know. - Archie Andrews