SW10/REVIEW: Catalog of Earths, 2015 Update #5 of 5: Recently-Discovered Universes

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Dec 31 19:31:03 PST 2015

Author's Note:  Ha!  Still in time for 2015, in most of my favorite time
zones!

--- PART 5:  Recently-Discovered Universes ---

UNIVERSE:  Super Wizard From Space

- Type:  Superhuman

- Chronicler:  Wil Alambre

- Chronicler's Web Site:  http://wil.alambre.ca/racc/

- Activity:  none for 2015, though new stories are known to be in the works.

- Relevance:  Has *already* interacted with the Council, and continues
to affect its worlds.

- Threat Analysis:  Major but decreasing.  The core of this universe is
still self-absorbed for the moment.  Its fringes on Council worlds have
been successfully associated with friendly elements.  The Hermit Wizard
Bee has been tamed on Turkworld, and the universe's Devil has interacted
cordially with your famous alternate Wyatt Ferguson.

- Critique:  This storyline seems to be a victim of its own critical
acclaim.  Dramatic, complicated, critically acclaimed sagas can be
difficult to maintain, let alone complete.  No world is safe from that
effect, not even Council worlds.  We at the Council know this continuum
to be a possible rival and/or threat, but aesthetically we can't help
but wish it good luck.

- Psychovant's Comments:  Hey, isn't this where Whatsisname the Super
Wizard Bee came from?  Maybe what this world needs in return is a Super
Cosmic Demon Duck from Beyond!  Now, where can I find a Power Hat or
something?  Maybe I could even find a Wizard Bee to help me look for one!

(Author's Note: Psychovant the Duck is hereby made available for a Super
Wizard story.  I know it's a weird thing to throw in, but, well...
Think of the Rush album "Hemispheres".  When they had a God War and
wrote themselves into a corner, they threw in a spaceship from Beyond!)

---

UNIVERSE:  The "DiVerse"

- Type:  Mystic

- Chronicler:  Colin ("DeuceXM")

- Chronicler's Web Site:  http://lastlibrary.tumblr.com/

- Activity:  sporadic

- Relevance:  Intermediate.  Could interact with the Council.

- Threat Analysis:  Low (reduced from Intermediate last year).  The
universe has Light and Dark factions of mages, in a relationship both
confrontational and symbiotic.  However, it's an entire universe.  The
most active heroes reside on an entirely different world from the mages,
and are freelance adventurers who'll do anything for a buck.  Currently
they're plumbers.

- Critique:  The center of action has changed to "Jetbird and the Kid".
  The story has potential, but thus far the menace is only about as
dangerous as lead pipes.

- Psychovant's Comments:  Yawn.  Where's Salon Dark-Yet-Always-Lovely
when the universe needs it?  Do *I* need to go there and find out?  Heh,
I bet my sign is Fire.  Or is it Air 'cause I fly, or Water 'cause I
swim, or Earth 'cause I'm so damn earthy?  Could be anything!

(Author's Note:  Psychovant the Duck is hereby made available for a
Salon DYAL story.  Might I even write that story?)

---

UNIVERSE:  "The Truth About Fiction"

- Type:  Superhuman

- Chronicler:  Michael D. Friedman

- Chronicler's Web Site:  apparently none

- Activity:  weekly but inactive now

- Relevance:  Medium.  Could possibly interact with the Council.

- Threat Analysis:  Medium.  This is a Secret Alien History world,
centered around Nevada the home of Secret Alien History.  Of course our
Council already interacts with aliens much like theirs.  We recommend to
establish contact and provide some pointers.  But we've learned that
their world might have one hyper-powered *turtle*, a match for the likes
of Ellipsis and the Doom Bear...  We await more information.

- Critique:  It is great fun to read, and has potential.  It just needs
to follow up.  And "Torpy the Torpedo" is classic.

- Psychovant's Comments:  Heh.  Would I fit in if I showed up in Nevada
in an Elvis-impersonator suit?

(Author's Note:  Psychovant is hereby made available for... well, if you
want, but the story's weird enough already.)

---

UNIVERSE:  "The Girl Who Saved The World"

- Type:  Superhuman

- Chronicler:  George Phillies

- Chronicler's Web Site:  apparently none

- Activity:  multiple times a week

- Relevance:  High.  Could easily interact with the Council.

- Threat Analysis:  High.  This is a "World War One Never Happened"
world, with some major differences; for instance, the Aztecs still rule
Mexico.  The greatest threat on this world is a "Namestone", which has
been captured by a young superhuman.  The world powers are deciding how
to respond.  We recommend to prepare omniversal quarantine!

- Critique:  Impressive.  This is alternate-universe political drama
with highly-powered superhumans.  We don't know of any other stories
quite like this.

- Psychovant's Comments:  Name ME, Namestone!  Name Me, Name Meeee!  ...
On second thought, %$#@ no.  I've had enough of power stones.  They're
pretty damn fickle.  Wouldn't it be interesting if this one had its own
plans?  So I ain't touchin' this one.

I know. - Archie Andrews