SW10/REVIEW: Catalog of Earths, 2015 Update #3 of 5: The Web Comics (REPUBLISHED)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Dec 29 19:13:31 PST 2015

Author's Note:  I have republished, after realizing that new and
returning readers might need a review of the *art* of The Web Comics also.

--- PART 3:  The Web Comics ---

The Powernaut (covered earlier as part of "Introduction and SW10")
appears in a web comic himself.  We here cover the other artistic
content of RACC.

UNIVERSE:  Ripping Off King Arthur

- Type:  Mystic, apparently

- Chronicler:  Arthur Spitzer

- Chronicler's Web Site:  http://www.rippingoffkingarthur.com/

- Activity:  sporadic

- Relevance:  Major as for last year.  This continuum is dominated by
one cosmic-level threat, but its activity currently concentrates on a
sort of chainsaw-Smurf species.  But it produced some major commentary
from apparently within the dominated universe this year, entitled "A
Suicide in Destiny City".

- Threat Analysis:  Medium-level (down from Major last year).  Due to
inactivity, we have downgraded the threat level.  However, those
chainsaw-Smurfs might yet get it together, get the plotline out of
deadlock, and surprise everyone.

- Critique:  When the stories actually happen, they're impressive or
just plain fun, and often both.  And the artwork shows a cartoonist
reaching the height of his craft - and embracing color in his comics.
"Destiny City" is a side-story from the storyline at its height - kind
of like "The Silmarillion".  One might imagine how the storyline might
resolve from where it is now - especially with chainsaw-Smurfs sawing
down the foundations of reality or something.  Perhaps those are the
things the storyline needs to move forward.  Or reset.  Or whatever.

- Psychovant's Comments:  $#@! the storyline!  Gimme one of those
chainsaw-hulu dolls!  I'll make 'er say Rrarr Rrarr!

---

UNIVERSE:  Continentals

- Type:  Tech

- Chroniclers:  Darryl Hughes and Monique MacNaughton

- Chronicler's Web Site:
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/The_Continentals/ (moved since last year)

- Activity:  Now twice weekly

- Relevance:  Unlikely, as for last year.  This universe is
self-contained and unlikely to interact with others.

- Threat Analysis:  Low-level as for last year.  The mad-scientist
villain is finally hatching his master plan, but is unlikely to spread
it beyone his homeworld.

- Critique:  The artwork is the top of the line.  And it's a decent
enough story, paced like a comic book miniseries and mostly
concentrating on drama.  A finish might be on the way, next year.  But
at one or two pages a week, it's designed for binge reading and
republication.  Given that, one can hope that the occasional typo gets
fixed before republication time.

- Psychovant's Comments:  hey, Mr. Hyde was in charge of a special-needs
relative?  Wouldn't that drive *anyone* crazy?

---

UNIVERSE:  Chevalier

- Type:  Mystic (probably)

- Chronicler(s):  Darryl Hughes and Monique MacNaughton

- Chronicler's Web Site:  http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Chevalier/
(moved since last year)

- Activity:  Inactive.  The story is completed, though a sequel is possible.

- Relevance:  Interaction with the Council is unlikely but feasible.

- Threat Analysis:  Minor.  Its crusading heroes (from a sentient
species of mouse) got their Happy Ending from their quest, and are quiet
for now.

- Critique:  The artwork is the same top-of-the-line stuff as for The
Continentals, only in color - and ready for publication as a series of
children's books.  The story was faithful to all of its fictional
premises, and it worked in the end.  But either those are two small
kingdoms, or that is one Great Horn.

- Psychovant's Comments:  Oh, blow that horn!  I might've blown it a
different way, but I couldn't've done it any better!  ... Heh, maybe I
could get a gig there as an air-steed.  I'm not gonna let mice ride me,
but that Princess can mount up anytime!

--- PART 4:  Legacy Universes ---

I know. - Archie Andrews