SW10/REVIEW: Catalog of Earths, 2015 Update #3 of 5: The Web Comics

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Dec 29 18:08:30 PST 2015

--- PART 3:  The Web Comics ---

UNIVERSE:  Ripping Off King Arthur

- Type:  Mystic, apparently

- Chronicler:  Arthur Spitzer

- Chronicler's Web Site:  http://www.rippingoffkingarthur.com/

- Activity:  sporadic

- Relevance:  Major as for last year.  This continuum is dominated by
one cosmic-level threat, but its activity currently concentrates on a
sort of chainsaw-Smurf species.

- Threat Analysis:  Medium-level (down from Major last year).  Due to
inactivity, we have downgraded the threat level.  However, those
chainsaw-Smurfs might yet get it together, get the plotline out of
deadlock, and surprise everyone.

- Critique:  When the stories actually happen, they're impressive or
just plain fun, and often both.  One might imagine how the storyline
might resolve from where it is now.  But that's different from the
storyline actually resolving.

- Psychovant's Comments:  $#@! the storyline!  Gimme one of those
chainsaw-hulu dolls!  I'll make 'er say Rrarr Rrarr!

---

UNIVERSE:  Continentals

- Type:  Tech

- Chroniclers:  Darryl Hughes and Monique MacNaughton

- Chronicler's Web Site:
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/The_Continentals/ (moved since last year)

- Activity:  Now twice weekly

- Relevance:  Unlikely, as for last year.  This universe is
self-contained and unlikely to interact with others.

- Threat Analysis:  Low-level as for last year.  The mad-scientist
villain is finally hatching his master plan, but is unlikely to spread
it beyone his homeworld.

- Critique:  It's a decent enough story, paced like a comic book
miniseries and mostly concentrating on drama.  A finish might be on the
way, next year.  But at one or two pages a week, it's designed for binge
reading and republication.  Given that, one can hope that the occasional
typo gets fixed before republication time.

- Psychovant's Comments:  hey, Mr. Hyde was in charge of a special-needs
relative?  Wouldn't that drive *anyone* crazy?

---

UNIVERSE:  Chevalier

- Type:  Mystic (probably)

- Chronicler(s):  Darryl Hughes and Monique MacNaughton

- Chronicler's Web Site:  http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Chevalier/
(moved since last year)

- Activity:  Inactive.  The story is completed, though a sequel is possible.

- Relevance:  Interaction with the Council is unlikely but feasible.

- Threat Analysis:  Minor.  Its crusading heroes (from a sentient
species of mouse) got their Happy Ending from their quest, and are quiet
for now.

- Critique:  It was faithful to all of its fictional premises, and it
worked in the end.  But either those are two small kingdoms, or that is
one Great Horn.

- Psychovant's Comments:  Oh, blow that horn!  I might've blown it a
different way, but I couldn't've done it any better!  ... Heh, maybe I
could get a gig there as an air-steed.  I'm not gonna let mice ride me,
but that Princess can mount up anytime!

--- Next:  PART 4:  Legacy Universes ---

I know. - Archie Andrews