The Girl Who Saved the World, Part 16 in some arithmetic base

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Fri Dec 11 20:50:01 PST 2015

The American Ambassador continues:

The American position for centuries has been that the Namestone would
belong to he who took it. I agree that most Americans would also have
preferred that Miss Eclipse simply joined the extremely long list of
people who bet their lives against the Namestone and lost. We do not
wish Miss Eclipse ill for performing her heroic deed, but the Namestone
was better left in the Tomb in the hands of the Martyr.” Several of
Buncombe’s colleagues glared in his direction. “Of course, it was two
Americans who separately entered the Maze and were the only challengers
ever to survive, quitting while they were ahead.”

Some of Buncombe’s colleagues turned beet red.  Four appeared to be
struggling to avoid breaking into laughter at his tweaking of the lion’s
tail. The English and Germans had lost the core of their navies in a
prior attempt.  The English “world chess champion” had declined to
emulate the challenger he had dodged, when the challenger had visited
England to play for the world title,  by entering the Maze.

“In any event, my Republic’s frugal Congress may well take its own good
time about authorizing any part of our very limited incomes to be spent
in Eclipse’s pursuit, assuming that our Congress in its wisdom does not
decide that she is the proper owner. We are a poor but thrifty nation
and have better uses for our meager resources.”  Buncombe silently
congratulated himself on saying his final few sentences with a straight
face. It was hardly a secret that the American Republic was by a very
considerable margin the wealthiest country in the world.

  “Finally, America is a sovereign nation. Foreign attacks on our
citizens and residents, including in particular attacks on the
hypothetical Miss Eclipse if she is an American, would plausibly be acts
of war and will be treated as such. We have no intent of sending our
armed forces abroad in pursuits of willow-the-wisps. We will, however,
consider favorably requests for mutual assistance from countries in the
Americas that request our assistance. Furthermore, President Daniel
Oliver Webster has indicated that if the Governors-General of any of the
Canadian Dominions request emergency aid, then, so long as the
Queen-Empress and her Ministers do not object, arrangements might
perhaps be made.  After all, if your neighbor’s house is on fire, you
break out the hoses first, and consider your minor historical
disagreements with your neighbor after the fire is extinguished.”

 From the looks on various faces, Buncombe had indeed set several foxes
loose in neighboring chicken coops.  American foreign policy had for
centuries been based on total noninvolvement in foreign affairs.
Protecting southern neighbors from the IncoAztecan Empire was viewed as
a domestic matter, given the series of wars that had been fought between
America and the Aztecans. And now, Buncombe thought, he had announced a
minor change in American foreign policy. Buncombe handed the Speaking
Stone to Ambassador Featherstonehaugh.