MISC: The Girl Who Saved The World Part 15 or so

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Wed Dec 9 20:51:18 PST 2015

The Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire continues his remarks:

“Having said that, the Protector of the Three Holy Places has at his
beck and call what is undoubtedly the most powerful group of personas in
the entire world. There is therefore no need for foreign groups to enter
the Lands of Peace in pursuit of the Namestone. Such an entry would
provoke unfortunate consequences for the intruders, for which the
Defender of the Faithful could not possibly take responsibility.”
Buncombe brought to mind several ancient American adages involving the
concept of the slow train wreck. It seemed more than a bit likely that
several foreign powers would be perfectly happy to have their persona
teams invade the territory of other foreign powers with what would be
claimed to be the best of intentions, do astonishing amounts of
collateral damage to key industrial facilities, and then leave. The net
result, he suspected, would not be entirely favorable for world peace or
local property values, even before the Bearer started resisting the
persona teams trying to capture her. The Grand Vizier passed the
Speaking Stone to Legate Hong.

“Already the Great Khan, the Emperor of Manjukuo and All Mongolia, from
the center of the world to the Polar Sea, has issued the most
fundamental of all orders: ‘Men and women of the Horde! To your horses!’
All the personas and all the soldiers of all Manjukuo are immediately
ready to advance against the Bearer, no matter where she is found, so
soon as she can be located. There is no doubt but that she will be
overwhelmed and her stolen artifact recovered for all the people of the
world.”

Buncombe steeled himself for the bloviations of the remaining
ambassadors. The Russians would undoubtedly interpret the German remarks
as a threat of war. The French and the Austro-Hungarians would speak of
welcoming the Bearer into their midst, and using tactful means to
persuade the bearer to use the Namestone as the League requested. It
seemed unlikely that either Davout or Ferencz would be able to explain
the concept ‘tact’ to many of their fellow ambassadors. Buncombe
realized that while he was collecting his thoughts the Speaking Stone
had moved several more times, so the Sikh Ambassador was speaking.

“Finally,” Ambassador Singh said, “I have have been asked to bring word
from the Tibetan Lamanate.  While the Dalai Lama is temporarily absent
awaiting reincarnation, the Sera Lama has extended an open invitation to
this Miss Eclipse to visit Tibet to meditate with him on the hazard that
the Holy Namestone creates for her soul, for surely a device that grants
all worldly desires will distract us all from tranquil meditation.
Indeed, the Sera Lama counsels us all that we should abandon our
interest in the temptations offered by the Namestone, in favor of the
celestial awards resulting from renouncing all worldly goods.”

The Speaking Stone eventually reached the American Ambassador. “Mind
you,” Buncombe said, “I would be remiss in my duties as Ambassador of
the American Republic if I did not note that most of our citizens have a
complete lack of sympathy with the League’s assertion that it has a
claim on the Namestone.