MISC: racc Digest, Vol 149, Issue 2

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Thu Dec 3 16:16:14 PST 2015

Scott,

Many thanks for your comments.  Glad you are enjoying The Girl Who Saved
the World.

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed,  2 Dec 2015 17:47:05 -0800 (PST)
> From: Scott Eiler <seiler at eilertech.com>
> To: racc at lists.eyrie.org
> Subject: Re: MISC: The Girl Who Saved The World Part 12
>
> I see that with this and the previous episode, we're on to new stuff.
> It would interest me even without the League of Nations description.
>
> I suppose if I ever want to get any deeper into any alternate-world(s)
> political drama, I'll have to describe the relevant worlds as well.
> Heh, just as soon as I get even *more* copious spare time.

The political drama is mostly to add support.  However, if you steal all
the gold in Fort Knox, there will be at least some political interest,
and what Eclipse took is way more valuable. Also, she didn't worry very
hard about consequences, the pure of heart being like that, and she may
have started a World War, which the locals might someday title World War
One.

>> “Speaking for the Emperor of All France, Napoleon the Sixth,  I am
>> Imperial Marshall Bernard-Christian Davout.” Davout wore the polychrome
>> uniform of a modern French Field Marshal.  It was possible that some
>> color had been omitted from his ensemble, but if so it was by oversight.
>> For all his military decorations, Davout’s country including its
>> not-protectorates from the Caribbean to the Eastern Mediterranean was an
>> eminently civilized place in which an American could consider living.
>> Napoleon might style himself Emperor, but local governments across the
>> Empire, such as the Greek and Spanish Kingdoms and the Venetian
>> Republic, had an independence that only Frenchmen and Americans found
>> entirely reasonable.
>
> ... So royalty calls itself a republic, and federations call themselves
> empires.  Oh, why not.  It makes as much sense as most of our own world.
>
> I won't ask what the divergence point was between their history and
> ours.  I'm not sure I could explain that for all of my own stories
> either.  "New Bosnia" in particular was swiped from a "Wall Builder"
> thread which was crowd-sourced on soc.history.what-if.  I can describe a
> mysterious divergence point for that, but not how it resulted in
> competing khans in Russia and China, and so on.
>
> ... I enjoyed the original post of "The Girl Who Saved The World", but
> didn't read most of the reposts.  Still, I'm excited to see it continue.

Actually I am not doing "divergence point". If the planned end of the
world does not intervene, the "convergence point" is appreciably
futurewards, if it ever happens.