REPOST: RAC Challenge! Ch. 1

Adrian J. McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:41:48 PDT 2015

Oh boy, RACChallenge. I read that in the archives way, way back in the day, back when I first got into RACC, during Bush's first term as president. It's something, all right.

Reviving RACChallenge is somewhere deep in my half baked idea list, along with trying to resurrect the PATROL imprint (I always wanted to write a Green Lantern type story, and the original Patrol story was declared public domain, so...) But this is something that should probably wait until we've got more people and more activity. I hope we can manage it someday, though.

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 8:52:54 PM UTC-4, Arthur Spitzer wrote:

> There was some really fun stuff here by various RACC writers
> like Marc Singer and Rob Rogers.  My favorite probably being
> the issue that Matt "Badger" Rossi wrote.

The main thing I remember is a chapter toward the end which was really bizarre even by standards of the series, which introduces like a million new characters. I remembered it as being by Jesse Willey, since it was kind of similar to his chapters of Saviors of the Net in turns of coming out of nowhere, but it was wReam. I'm curious if it'll make more or less sense reading it now.

Anyway this chapter... it's a pretty basic starting point, a story that could support any number of directions--and boy did it ever. It was also part of the Silver Age revival that was gathering steam at the time. Really RACC was ahead of its time in a lot of ways--LNH was an attempt to build on the goofy and imaginative side of comics in the peak Image 90s, and a few years later
comics started coming around on that. I have a lot of vague thoughts about how RACC storytelling has both recapitulated and anticipated the history of comics at large but this post is getting long enough.

Adrian