LNH: The Daily LNH Wiki Entry Spotlight #7

Adrian J. McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 18:01:44 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 8:38:26 PM UTC-4, Arthur Spitzer wrote:

> Surreptitious Seven, a creation of Rob Rogers, are a collection
> of Easily Discovered Man villains put together by the villainous
> mastermind Mynabird.
>

> Arthur "And Uma Thurman.." Spitzer

I was just rereading the story they were from! Beige Countdown/Midnight was fun. Well, maybe that's the wrong word for a story that involves so many mental breakdowns and catastrophic events. But it was consistently imaginative and exciting and generally works a lot better than the actual event stories of the time. Andrew mentioned to me that the LNH often takes ideas more seriously than actual comics. Or develop them more, anyway. The LNH's resolution to the President Luthor storyline was so much better than DC's, for example.

(For the record I still don't think any Big Two event has been better than DC One Million. The new Secret Wars has a lot of fun crossovers but I haven't been reading the main book.)

Anyway I love how much good characterization Rob gives his goofy-ass villains. A lot of people in superhero stories (myself included--I'm definitely one of those writers who writes more about cosmic threats and stuff) underestimate what you can do with regular old supervillains without turning them into serial killers or something. (And of course Mynabird was a perfect parody of that kind of forced badassification, while also being a more effective threat than a lot of crossover villains.)