MISC: GODLING # 47 New Troy Hardcore by J. Vandersteen

jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 18:02:16 PDT 2015

GODLING # 47  New Troy Hardcore by J. Vandersteen

- GODLING - THE ONE MAN PANTHEON:  New Troy Hardcore

The VTOL carrying The Circuit flies away from the stadium where they just fought Speed Metal and left because the mayor's check bounced, not being able to pay the heroes for hire.
    "Don't you guys feel bad about leaving?" Recoil asked her fellow mercenaries.
    "A bit maybe. Although Kiefer will not leave much of a hole in music," Shaolinda said.
    "Doesn't matter much. I was just following orders like I'm supposed to," Celsius says.
     Recoil shakes her head, "You guys ARE hardcore..."

*
The Tonight Show with Jake Lennox.
Godling is sitting in the interview chair, the host, Jake Lennox is asking him questions.
     "You say you really have been given these powers by the Olympian gods? That sounds a bit hard to believe. Before we know it you're going to claim the world is flat."
    "No, your wife is," Godling quips.
    "What!?" Lennox says, red-faced.
    "Just kidding, Jake, old buddy. But seriously, how farfetched is that compared to the stuff you've all seen me do. Stuff like this?" With those words the hero uses the powers of Apollo to envelop his fist in light.
     "Impressive. Guess you never need a nightlight. Why aren't you in New Troy right now, though? Didn't that used to be your old stomping grounds? Why do you seem to spend your time in LA these days?"
     "The weather?" Godling says. "And the lovely girls of course." He winks into the camera.
     "Well, I hear Justin Kiefer is really getting his ass kicked right now in New Troy by some supervillain. He could really use your help," Lennox says.
      "I don't want to leave my fans without my presence here," Godling says.
     "I'm pretty sure we can save a spot for you in a few days again," Lennox says.
      "Very well then," Godling says. "Gotta run!" With the speed of Hermes he runs off.
*
A motorbike rides into the stadium. A leather-clad masked woman with tattoos is riding it. It's Dober-Girl!
     "Let the kid go!" she shouts as her bike crashes into the stage where Speed Metal is strangling Justin Kiefer. She jumps from the bike and on the stage.
     "Who are you supposed to be then?" Speed Metals says. "Must admit I like the whole riot grrl look."
      "I'm Dober-Girl. I've been busy protecting the dark streets of New Troy against dealers, pimps and muggers... But it seems the city needs me to take on superpowered freaks like you in Godling's abcense."
     "Good luck with that!" Speed Metal says. He drops Kiefer and attacks Dober-Girl.
      She manages to duck Speed Metal's first punch and gets in a kick of her own.
       "Impressive," Speed Metals says. "But no way you are fast enough to beat me!"
        A flurry of punches barrels into Dober-Girl. She manages to deflect some but all in all she just isn't fast enough and is left battered, bruised and unconscious seconds later.
       "Well, that was fun," Speed Metal says.
       "Then you're really going to have a ball now," a voice behind the villain says. Speed Metal turns around and faces the heroic figure of Godling.
        "The One Man Pantheon? You decided to show up after all??" Speed Metal says.
        "Yes, I did. But I really don't appreciate the fact you forced me to leave my stint on the Tonight Show. So don't expect me to play nice!" With those words Godling attacks.
        With superspeed the two tussle. They are moving so fast it is impossible to see what happens, but after a few seconds....
       Speed Metal is sitting on his behind, clutching his privates with one hand, covering his eyes with the other. "You kicked me between the legs and poked me in the eye? What happened to you? When did you start fighting dirty?"
     "Ever since you started getting me angry," Godling says and then lands one powerful punch that sends the villain flying from the stage.
       Unconscious Speed Metal lands on the floor. Cops quickly surround him, putting the cuffs on him.
       "You did that pretty damned hardcore, Godling," sergeant Tyler Wade remarks. "What's with the blonde hair? And where did you go?"
       "Do I know you?" Godling asks.
       "Huh? What's that supposed to mean? Have you gone nuts?" Wade asks.
       "Never mind. I'm running back to LA. I might still be in time before the show ends."  Godling flies off.

*
New Troy Hospital. Quentin Alexander is sitting next to Janson who is in a hospital bed.
      "So you kind of saved me, huh?" Janson asks Quentin.
      "I think the doctors did that. I just took you to them," he says.
      "Modest as ever. Sounds like Godling-style heroics to me."
       Quentin chuckles. "Well, I'm glad you are okay."
      "Me too," she says. "Hey, what's that on the news?" She points at the TV in her room.
      The TV shows footage of Godling battling Speed Metal. The newscasters says, "Between two takes of the Tonight Show the hero managed to save teen idol Justin Kiefer. Is there nothing this man cannot do?"
      "Sounds like about time to me," Jansons says. "What took him so long? I wonder if he will be back soon."
     "So do I, I'd really like to meet him," Quentin says.

NEXT ISSUE: The Dark Monk strikes