WWW: NEW "The Continentals: The Fire Next Time" up now

the-deeman at webtv.net the-deeman at webtv.net
Tue Sep 30 03:37:47 PDT 2014

On Monday, September 29, 2014 9:56:55 PM UTC-4, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 9/29/2014 2:50 AM, the-deeman at webtv wrote:
>
> > There's a new update at The Continentals. Here's the teaser:
>

> > "MESSENGERS OF DEATH!!!"
>

> > Connor Nichols and his henchman watch the Emperor's men returning
>
> > withnews of the dock heist.
>

> I rather enjoyed the phrase "damnable inscrutable celestial mind".  This
>
> phrase makes perfect sense for Victorian Britons to use under the
>
> circumstances, though it's bound to offend someone.  But I have a
>
> similar issue myself.  When I showed someone my Powernaut 1955 Free
>
> Comic, she saw the phrase "Girls see the Kitchen of the Future!" and
>
> said it was sexist.  I responded, well yeah, it's 1955...  I wonder if
>
> there's a known good way to make a story sensibly modern without being
>
> anachronistic.  My own urge is to make the authentic retro stuff look
>
> ridiculous.
>

> > "THE CONTINENTALS" by Darryl Hughes and Monique MacNaughton. It's
>
> > likeSherlock Holmes meets the 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a
>
>  > dash of James Bond for flavor.
>

> > The Continentals
>
> > http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php
>

> > Connect with "The Continentals" on Facebook at:
>
> > https://www.facebook.com/thecontinentalscomic
>

> > Dee
>

> --
>
> (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> -------- http://www.eilertech.com/ ---------
>

> When you *are* the leader... whatever goes wrong... whether you did it
>
> or not... *you* are held responsible. - Barack Obama
>

> I know. - Archie Andrews
>

> - from Archie #617, March 2011, scripted by Alex Simmons.

The retro stuff is of the time it's of. Yeah, the kitchen stuff seems sexist NOW but in 1955 it was the norm. Just like all the drinking, smoking, and sexism was the norm in the 60's with "Mad Men". It is what it was. You can't change the sexism, or racism, or any other "ism" of a particular time period that you choose to write about because it doesn't fit our evolved sensibilities of today. To be true to the period you have to be true to the good AND the bad reflected in it.

Dee