LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - September 2014

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 13:29:42 PDT 2014

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 3:20:14 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
> [...]
>
> A Miscellaneous [MISC] series
>
> by Jochem Vandersteen
>

> "It occurs to me that, now that there are three series going in the
>
> Godlingverse, Jochem should see about getting his own imprint!"
>

> "Anyway, the new Godling continues to be kind of a terrible person,
>
> creeping on women and not even realizing he's at the center of an evil
>
> plot. Meanwhile, Quentin Alexander realizes that the new Godling may not
>
> be able to take care of the things that the old Godling built, and sets
>
> out to check on them - with disastrous results!"
>

> "I wonder if it's a character point that Quentin built a place that
>
> goes to attack mode a non-attacking person so easily? If it isn't, it
>
> should be. Of course, the reveal for why he doesn't die might mitigate
>
> that, but it's still surprisingly aggressive."
>

> Nonfiction #4
>
> "Top 5 Explanations For Ranovia and Why They All Suck"
>
> An Eightfold [8FOLD] story
>
> by Tom Russell
>

> "Tom's tour of nonfiction formats delves into one of the more
>
> popular-slash-profitable ones of the 2010s, the Cracked/Buzzfeed-style
>
> snarky numbered list. (Personally, my favorite version of this was in
>
> the early '00s, with Lore Sjoberg's Book of Ratings.) In this case, it
>
> deals with the nation of Ranovia, which doesn't exist now, didn't exist
>
> originally, but *did* exist - on some level - for three days in July of
>
> 2012."
>

> "The article itself takes a really interesting perspective, looking at
>
> various reasons why an entire nation could seem to pop in and out of
>
> existence. Many of these are fairly standard science fiction ideas;
>
> others are more metafictional, including a reference to one of the
>
> original Eightfold series, Jamie Rosen's unfinished Template. The unique
>
> part comes from putting them together as a category and looking at them
>
> in-universe, not from a sense-of-wonder perspective but from the
>
> viewpoint of someone trying to hash out the truth, or, at least,
>
> eliminate untruths."
>

> "As a side note - the article is written from the perspective of 2017,
>
> as indicated by a line referring to 2012 as 'five years ago'. This
>
> doesn't seem to influence the information in the article any; the only
>
> reason I can think of to do that is to put it - perhaps - after the end
>
> of the Pulse War arc..."
>

> Orphans of Mars: To Bell the Cat #6
>
> An Eighthfold [8FOLD] miniseries
>
> by Tom Russell
>

> "The final issue of the miniseries, and indeed, apparently the final
>
> issue of the series as a whole on RACC. It seems that Tom is moving to
>
> ebook-only releases after this. As you can tell from the Dynamite
>
> Radical posts, this isn't a strategy I'd go with. I absolutely respect
>
> Tom's decision, but I'm curious about the reasons why, and what he
>
> thinks is the best strategy for us small-scale self-publishers - or even
>
> if he thinks there *is* a 'best' strategy."

Well, a quick correction-- it's *not* e-book only. The primary format is actual, physical media, and indeed I've sold something like four times as many of those than I have the e-book versions. I don't even have an e-book reader myself.

As for the reasons why-- well, there's a few...

(1) Writing for a book/novel is inherently different than writing for serial publication. Not better, necessarily, but different-- and more in keeping with where I want to take the characters and their world.

(2) I'm also trying to write more, and I found that creating something with the aim towards making money is a better motivator for me, and more likely to get me working on something consistently/regularly.

(3) People are more likely to buy something if they can't find it for free, and less likely if they can. To be clear, I of course have no problem writing fiction without being paid for it, as a hobby or community service, and I'll continue to write free fiction for a long time, I think. But if I want to get paid for this particular fiction-- the Orphans of Mars-- it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make it all available for free. Cheap, yes; free, no.

I figure with the current amount of Orphans material already available here on USENET, a curious reader can gauge whether or not it's their kind of thing, and then pick up the new books (or not) as fits their fancy.

> "As for the story itself, it's pretty great. The characters are deeply
>
> screwed-up, but manage to semi-accidentally help each other despite
>
> that and get a little better as people. It's taken a while for us to get
>
> to the point where we can feel the characters as simultaneously
>
> sympathetic and awful, but it's working well, and the ending is
>
> satisfying."

Thanks!

==Tom