LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - August 2014

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 21:45:45 PDT 2014

On 10/10/2014 8:41 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> On Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:56:01 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
>
>> Red Hart #1-3
>> Untitled, "The Beasts Set Loose", "The Forest Prince Returns"
>> An Eightfold [8FOLD] miniseries (I think?)
>
> Yes, ending with next week's # 9.

Ahhhhh, very good.

>> "RACC's most fascinatingly experimental title of the month, and that's a
>> significant accomplishment when put next to Powernaut, ROKA, and Super
>> Wizard. Tom swings for the fences with a classical form and a cosmic
>> plotline."
>
>Thank you very kindly. It's always gratifying when something experimental
 > manages to resonate with (rather than alienate) people.

It's resonated quite nicely in my brain chambers! <3

>> "So, it turns out the invasion of the Dyzen'thari in Jolt City and the
>> invasion of the Pulse Collective in All The Books That Don't Take Place
>> In 2009 are not unrelated.
>
>Oh, I've been laying seeds for the Pulse War story for a very long time,
 > and in some unexpected places. :-)

Very interesting. <3 I don't think I can see all of them quite yet...

>> The characterization is *extremely* well-done, with each character
>> (or group thereof) getting a very distinct voice whether or not they
>> count their iambs."
>
>One thing you're likely to notice is that as the story moves along, the
 > humans take on greater agency.

And having read through September's issues, I have!

>Part of this is thematically and narratively important, and part of it is
 > that it's much easier to write the damn thing when I don't have to be
 > counting syllables and stresses. (Which is *hard*-- I have a sort of
 > special tone-deafness for it, and frequently have to consult online
 > dictionaries to determine where the stress falls in simple words. AND DON'T
 > GET ME STARTED ON THOSE SONNETS THAT SEDENION AND OCTONION HAVE.)

I have a pretty similar tonedeafness - I wrote a sestina once in iambic
pentameter and it was amazingly hard. (Which is why Captain Sestina has ten
syllables per line but no further poetic flourishes.) But I can't tell that
there were difficulties with any of this - it feels very right.

>Glad you're enjoying it, and I'm glad you seem to be finding it
 > compulsively readable. :-)

Very much so! <3

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, catch up mode!