LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - August 2014

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:41:25 PDT 2014

On Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:56:01 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:

> Red Hart #1-3
>
> Untitled, "The Beasts Set Loose", "The Forest Prince Returns"
>
> An Eightfold [8FOLD] miniseries (I think?)

Yes, ending with next week's # 9.

> "RACC's most fascinatingly experimental title of the month, and that's a
>
> significant accomplishment when put next to Powernaut, ROKA, and Super
>
> Wizard. Tom swings for the fences with a classical form and a cosmic
>
> plotline."

Thank you very kindly. It's always gratifying when something experimental manages to resonate with (rather than alienate) people.

> "So, it turns out the invasion of the Dyzen'thari in Jolt City and the
>
> invasion of the Pulse Collective in All The Books That Don't Take Place
>
> In 2009 are not unrelated.

Oh, I've been laying seeds for the Pulse War story for a very long time, and in some unexpected places. :-)

> "Not just a poetic meter, but an entire narrative form, broken artfully
>
> in the correct places. The contrast between gods and mortals is well-
>
> done.

Thank you.

> The characterization is *extremely* well-done, with each character
>
> (or group thereof) getting a very distinct voice whether or not they
>
> count their iambs."

One thing you're likely to notice is that as the story moves along, the humans take on greater agency. Part of this is thematically and narratively important, and part of it is that it's much easier to write the damn thing when I don't have to be counting syllables and stresses. (Which is *hard*-- I have a sort of special tone-deafness for it, and frequently have to consult online dictionaries to determine where the stress falls in simple words. AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THOSE SONNETS THAT SEDENION AND OCTONION HAVE.)

> "The plot is... amazing and abstract. It really does feel like a
>
> psychedlic '70s cosmic comic was adapted sometime in the early 1600s.
>
> Even the flirting feels lyrical. This is awesome."

Thank you very kindly; that's very much what I'm going for.

Glad you're enjoying it, and I'm glad you seem to be finding it compulsively readable. :-)