8FOLD: Red Hart # 5, "The King of Dragons"

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 15:55:03 PDT 2014

On 9/18/2014 9:39 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
<snip>
>       Allies of Red Hart:
> JULIE ANN JUSTICE, leader of the Seven Wonders
> BLUE BOXER, leader of the Daylighters

AWESOME.

> VANESSA MORRISON, ex-patriot of Earth, now stranded
> An elderly SCHOLAR of some acclaim

Hmmmmmmm?

> SEDENION
> With dragon free, all life shall join his cause.
> And yet, tis strange: this action gives me pause.

I think that's your fading sanity.

> JULIE ANN
> .... And I may have accidentally compromised your secret identity with
> a civilian. Sorry.
>
> BLUE BOXER
> It happens. ...A lot. I'm kinda used to it by now.

Yeeeeeep.

> BLUE BOXER
> Spoil-sport. We don't know exactly what the moon is, how it works, or
> where it is, but we're working on that. We don't know what the
> god-in-the-box is or what it can do, but we're working on that. Red
> Hart, Never-Lord, god-flood, we don't really understand any of that
> but...
>
> JULIE ANN
> You're working on that?

Well, it's the thought that counts.

> JULIE ANN
> Good afternoon, Mr. Sharp. This is Blue Boxer and...
>
> BLUE BOXER
> Harold Bloom, Sterling Professor for the Humanities at Yale
> University.

Hmmmmmmm!

> [He closes his eyes, clinches his fists, and concentrates, straining.
> Then he flatulates.]
>
> MATT
> I'm sorry.

I would also like to be the director who interpreted *that* stage direction. <3

> BLUE BOXER
> I know what you're feeling, Matt. I'm a normal guy. I mean, I'm a kind
> of a genius, but normal.
>
> JULIE ANN
> Cough.

Heeheehee.

> VAN
> Stuck on Earth, and an overactive bladder. Great. Bad enough my ship
> was wrecked; maybe I could fix that. But they went and turned it into
> some cosmic knick-knack leaking off his god-stuff. What am I going to
> do with that? Nothing, that's what. It's not like I'm going to find
> another one. Not on Earth: there's a reason I left and never looked
> back. Finding a way off this planet, it's worse odds than winning the
> lottery. Finding it a second time-- worse than winning it twice.
>
> [Enter JULIE ANN JUSTICE.]
>
> JULIE ANN
> You prone to soliloquizing?

Different types of theatricality. <3

> VAN
> All that and a box of crackers, yeah. But it's not just that. On
> Earth, it's like you're born in a box you never get out of. You get
> born in a particular place and time, to particular people, who you
> have to care about, because they're family. And they bring with them
> all these obligations and circumstances. And wherever and whenever you
> are, that determines who you're going to meet, maybe who you're going
> to marry, what your life is going to be. No one ever starts clean. No
> one ever really lives. You always have to play the hand you're dealt,
> and when you're done, whatever you've done, it's dealt the hand for
> the next generation. Space, it's like a big reshuffle.

Okay but like-- nah, skip it.

> [A beat, then exit VAN, urgently, to the bathroom.

Heeheehee

> BLUE BOXER
> I think I got that much. Each time he transforms, it's going to take
> more of a toll on Sharp.

Conflict!

> JULIE ANN
> So, yet another thing that can end the universe just came out of the
> woodwork. I'm surprised we've lasted this long.

Indeed!

> Did not I smash your heavens with my tail,
> A tail so long that now tis tightly-wound,
> Much like a spiral galaxy, or else
> This small dark universe could not contain,
> Nor bear behold, its sheer magnificence?

Mmmmmmm yas.

> [Commences a battle of indescribable scope; exeunt in dazzling, blinding light.]

SKRABJOOM

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, whzzz-POWW