8FOLD: Nonfiction # 4, "Top 5 Explanations for Ranovia and Why They All Suck"

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 03:54:48 PDT 2014

On Monday, October 6, 2014 4:41:37 AM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On 9/12/2014 8:24 PM, Tom Russell wrote:

> > A "tlonic event", for those not in the know, is when something
>
> > fictitious becomes real. The term comes to us from Jorge Luis Borges's
>
> > prescient short story, "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", written some
>
> > twenty years before the first tlonic event took place.  This doesn't
>
> > happen terribly often-- our world is weird enough as it is, thank you
>
> > very much-- but the one most people know about is what happened in Rex
>
> > Falls, Ontario about ten years back.
>

> Has this shown up yet in anything else?

Yes; this is from Jamie Rosen's TEMPLATE, which is of course still unfinished. So I'm not sure precisely what form the tlonic event was going to take, but with all the references to Borges, the redcoats, and the hero's (or, rather, his father's) fiction-as-source-of-strength superpower, we knew it was building towards *something* of that nature.

==Tom