SW10/WWW/HCC: Powernaut 1969 #1: Time to Read the Professional Journals!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed May 28 19:23:26 PDT 2014

As promised, I'm starting a new Powernaut series in June.  Or at least
it will be June in many parts of the world by the time I publish this,
Saturday morning in my U.S. Pacific time zone.

As often happens, the Powernaut is stumbling into a situation suitable
for contest story-writing.  RACC recommended this Powernaut series
("Hypergaard") to follow Free Powernaut Comic Day 1955/2014, based
largely on how this series starts out fast.  And as the series came up,
the group came up with an added challenge: Make an Awkward Moment!  The
first strip of this series *promises* such a moment, just as part of the
general excitement.  The awkwardness is currently scheduled to hit the
fan in #12.  But I'm going to submit #1 for challenge anyway, as a kind
of down-payment.

I'm taking pains to observe my usual publishing schedule in most of my
favorite media.  In particular, I've spent May getting three issues
ready ahead of schedule.  So since our Australian contest-master has set
a *May* deadline, I can spare one to publish early for RACC.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1969.htm#1

On to Hypergaard!

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary from Stephen Oliver Samuels
(S.O.S.)!    What Was the Portal Project?

Please understand, my history differs in some details from your own.  I
share a lot of that history with the Powernaut, because I was with him
for it. (ref:  Fractal Time,
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2005.htm#sos)

In 1961, the Powernaut and I rode a nuclear rocket to the Moon and back.
  In 1962, our whole Power Patrol went to Mars.  So the Space Race was
basically over.  We had to consider what *else* the Free World might
have to get to before its enemies did.

In 1962 on Mars, we found evidence of a highly powerful alien invading
race in the Solar System.  This race is fusion-powered, and best named
as "Solarians".  In 1966, the Powernaut saw that this race had reached
Earth.  We *think* he banished the Earth invader, through an impromptu
space-portal of some sort.  But then in 1968 on Earth, another Solarian
appeared through a portal.

Naturally since the Powernaut disappeared, I'd been researching portals.
  When the second Solarian appeared on Earth, I got crash-project
support.  By 1969, I had our own portal ready to try.

I know. - Archie Andrews