WWW: NEW "Chevalier the Queen's Mouseketeer: The Tides of War" up now

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed May 7 19:34:23 PDT 2014

On 5/7/2014 4:02 AM, the-deeman at webtv.net wrote:

> It's FULL STEAM ahead for Chevalier and Tom-Tom as they pursue the
> kidnappers of the Princess Faere on the high seas.

Well then.  It's time to discuss the physics of what just happened.

Though we have not seen it in story yet, there may be magic forces in
the world of Chevalier.  Sympathetic magic is especially powerful.  So
the greater winds may be sympathetic to any lesser wind, especially if
it arises from the juices of trees; trees and wind interact all the
time.  Therefore, any burp which arises from cherry-maple syrup would be
a doubly magic force.  Any young mouse probably knows this.  :)

Still, it helps to explain the physical forces involved, so as to
explain the magic better.  There are several possibilities.

*  Tom-Tom's belch would expel wind to swell his ship's sails - but it
would also propel him backward.  If he stabilized himself on the ship,
the force would propel the ship backward too.  There is one way Tom-Tom
could stabilize himself without using the ship, though:  he could expel
air out of his posterior.  The air going both directions would stabilize
him, the sails would capture the forward wind, and the backward wind
would escape harmlessly (at least to all senses other than smell).

*  Perhaps Tom-Tom's mighty burp went *upward* instead of forward.  That
could cause an upburst, which would draw in winds mostly behind the sails.

*  Meanwhile, something seems to have attracted dolphins.  Could it be,
the pungent scent of cherry-maple syrup?  Any *one* of these dolphins
could propel this ship.  Together, they're probably creating a wave
action to help draw the ship forward.

Glad I could help.  :)

> Chevalier: The Queen's Mousketeer. It's a fabled fairy tale of
 > enor-mouse proportions.
> http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/chev/series.php

I know. - Archie Andrews