LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - February 2014

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 18:34:18 PST 2014

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:06:54 PM UTC-5, Andrew Perron wrote:

> > What I'm saying, I guess, is that (and this might be one of my failings as
>
> > a writer) I am capable only of describing/showing/chronicling specific
>
> > people at a specific point in time in specific situations. And it proved
>
> > quite difficult for me to imagine them in another situation/place/time that
>
> > didn't draw on and build from this.
>
> Fascinating! That's entirely fair. (I wonder if this had anything to do
>
> with the dislike of alternate universes you once had?)

It might've, though I wouldn't have been aware of it. My two main reasons for disliking the trope were (1) that stories in an alternate universe didn't "count" the way in-continuity stories do, and (2) a not-unreasonable allergic reaction to alternate-future-destiny-people and lookalike refugees. I'm softened on the first one, especially after discovering the many joys and sorrows of oldschool Imaginary Stories and looser, more iconic continuities, but I'm still not big on the second. What can I say? Reading comics in the nineties will turn you off of a lot of genre tropes.

==Tom