8FOLD/HCC: Journey Into # 19, "Wobblies on a Train!"

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:55:15 PDT 2014

On Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:52:27 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On 6/29/2014 2:00 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > DRAMATIS PERSONAE.
>
> > - Kate Morgan, DR. METRONOME II.
>
> >    Can phase through matter.
>
> >    Piano tutor, aged 23 in 2008.
>
> >    Outlaw due to the Fitzwalter Rule.
>
> > - Bethany Clayton, KNOCKOUT MOUSE.
>
> >    Controls the density of her right hook.
>
> >    Graduate student, aged 25 in 2008.
>
> >    Lying due to the Fitzwalter Rule.
>

> Oooooh. Doublegasp.
>

> > Kate used to spend a lot of time worrying about Simon and all
>
> > the time he spent watching train DVDs and talking about gauges. But
>
> > then she realized that it made him happy, or as happy as he ever got
>
> > anyway, and she was okay with that. She'd settle for that.
>
> >     It might not be the best parenting strategy, and some nights she
>
> > wonders if she's screwing them up.
>

> Honestly, seems like a good parenting strategy to me.
>

> >     Of course she spoke too soon. The metronome belt not only pulls her
>
> > atoms apart whenever she needs to slide through solid matter, it also
>
> > makes her incredibly sensitive to the presence of other people whose
>
> > powers, whether natural or technological, allow them to defy the laws
>
> > of physics for fun and/or profit.
>

> Tesla Index!
>

> > Bethany is a little surprised by the number of people in the station.
>
> > An airport, she would understand. Maybe even a bus station. But a
>
> > train? Who rides a train these days?
>

> FEH >:/

Should be noted, as always, that I don't necessarily agree with my characters. :-)

In fact, I'm quite partial to trains; I've been more successful with my train-themed board games than any other.

> >     He clearly doesn't feel the same way. Indeed, he seems furious that
>
> > she dared to impede his path. "What's done cannot be undone," he
>
> > huffs. He doesn't even help her up.
>

> What the hell, man. I hope you're the bad guy. >:/

Got it in one. :-)

> *Very* nice viewpoint shifting.

Thank you kindly. This sequence was really the crux of the story, and I wasn't sure how well it was going to work with the rewinds. (Got a decidedly mixed reaction from my focus group.) Writing this scene was one of those times I wished I was telling these stories in comics, because though bubbles would get most of this across without having to "replay" over the same bits again and again.

> >     "Oh brave new world," he hisses with contempt, "that has such...
>
> > people in it."
>

> Ah, Hotspur!

I know I kinda gave it away with that one-- most of his other dialogue is a little more obscure.

> >     That doesn't happen, though. Kate leaps towards her and for a
>
> > split-second Bethany feels Kate's hand on her leg, then feels her
>
> > atoms shimmering again. She sinks into the car, then Kate pulls her
>
> > back up.
>

> Good teaming <3 <3 <3

Thanks!

> > "So, my lovelies," says Dr. Fay over the speaker phone,
>

> DOCTOR FAY WOO

I think she's appeared in more issues of JOURNEY INTO than anyone else.

> >     "Still not super-thrilled. Would you be comfortable lying to me?"
>
> >     "I am completely confident in my ability to do this."
>
> >     "Works for me," says Bethany.
>

> BEST TEAMUP

Thank you very kindly. I was trying to borrow the feel of the old Team-Up books like Marvel Team-Up, Two-In-One, and a less insane Brave and the Bold.

> Such yay. <3
>

> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, rly cute story.

Thanks! Not everything I write is about Broody McBrooderton and his stay in Despairville. :-)