8FOLD: Nonfiction # 3, "The New War"

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 19:54:33 PDT 2014

On Monday, June 23, 2014 6:52:22 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On 6/23/2014 6:12 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
>
> > On Monday, June 23, 2014 5:53:55 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
>
> >> On 6/23/2014 5:33 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
> >>   > Isolationism, pacifism, they're not options in
>
> >>   > this case. (Or, I guess, they are options, but the end result is death, so
>
> >>   > they're not really viable.)
>

> >> Okay, but: Says who?
>

>  > Well, that guy, and I should be clear that I'm not necessarily agreeing
>
>  > with or disagreeing with him, I just wanted to more clearly expound upon
>
>  > where that character was coming from and to explain that it wasn't
>
>  > necessarily the same animal as "suspension of discourse/civil liberties" we
>
>  > often see when nominally democratic societies go into crisis mode.
>

> Oh, sure. But I guess what I'm trying to say is - to be blunt - if you didn't
>
> mean for him to sound like that, you failed.
>

> In my opinion.
>

> Sorry. ^^;

No need to apologize, sir; I can't improve without feedback, blunt or otherwise, and when what I have in my head doesn't register on the page, well, I need to know that. :-D

I guess I was thinking that the "academic" air would have more of the connotation of, say, one of the "new atheists", who never really convinced or engaged with religious folk than alienate them. Which while still deeply polarizing, for me registers very differently than the rhetoric of fascism-in-a-crisis "emergency" measures (in America) and coups (elsewhere). The latter almost always targets "dissidents" and minorities for internment, disenfranchisement, and worse. Whereas the former is just the guy being a bit of a wanker.

> Okay, actually googling now... ahhhhh, I see, I see. Yes, that's an
>
> appropriate comparison. (Did you know that there's a member of EUROPA over in
>
> ASH named that?)

That doesn't surprise me. I used to joke about how every time I had an idea for a story, out would come an ASH story that did it better. There's been a couple other character names that 8FOLD and ASH have in common-- ASH had a Green Knight too, for example-- and I was really paranoid for the two or three years that I was working on JOLT CITY # 20 that I'd fire up RACC and there'd be an CSS issue introducing a Knockout Mouse... :-D

> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, finishlessless

Tom, but does the ASH Hotspur speak only in Shakespeare quotes?