SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1969 #2: Paula Power's Been Kidnapped??

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Jun 7 10:45:13 PDT 2014

The Powernaut and the Power Patrol are both on the hunt - and they're
about to collide.  Powernaut 1969 continues!

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1969.htm#2

For this issue, I have for the *second* time come up with a Powernaut in
terrifying full-on assault.  (The first was Powernaut 2011.)  Credit for
this idea goes to Saxon Brenton, LNH Cover Gallery #15i, THE WORLD WHERE
THE BEATLES CONQUERED AMERICA!

I'm glad to have S.O.S. write commentary as a World War 2 veteran. Some
of the world of 1968/1969 *only* made sense to veterans, both at the
time and in retrospect... Anyway, on 6 June 2014 I'm glad to write some
of his commentary on D-Day plus Seventy Years.  And here's some of that
commentary...

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary  from Stephen Oliver Samuels
(S.O.S.)!    What Did That Powernaut Do?

Even at the time, we knew the self-proclaimed Powernaut of the late
1960s had some power over teleportals. I have to admit, his power *was*
greater than what our project could muster by 1969.

We now understand this Powernaut was fueled by popular culture also. He
was able to mentally impose popular quotes of that culture upon the
workers of our Portal project. That made them babble.

For what it's worth, our project recorded the incident. We tracked the
babble back to pop songs. One quote was indeed from 1969, with the rest
from 1968. That at least told us, whatever forces drove this
self-proclaimed Powernaut, they did not *lead* popular culture. They
*followed* it.

Don't ask me where the *real* Powernaut got his power from. Maybe it
was  from popular culture of his time, like the Powernaut of 1969. Maybe
the real Powernaut's time was just better; we call it the Greatest
Generation now. Or maybe there was always something better underneath
*all* the Powernauts, even that 1969 one.

I know. - Archie Andrews