MISC: GODLING # 41: The Rise of the New Godling part 1: Trial by fire by J. Vandersteen

jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 11:43:36 PDT 2014

GODLING # 41:  The Rise of the New Godling part  1: Trial by fire by J. Vandersteen

- GODLING - THE ONE MAN PANTHEON:  The Rise of the New Godling part  1: Trial by fire

Olympus.
Ares is fighting the new Godling with a sword. Godling is doing the best he can do to parry the attacks although he cannot manage an attack of his own.
    Ares kicks Godling in the knees and he falls down. Ares puts a foot on his beaten foe.
   Hermes and Apollo applaud. "Not bad, Godling!"
   Ares steps from Godling's body. "Not bad indeed. You fought me better than the original Godling did in our first training."
   Apollo helps up Godling. "That might well be because I handled a sword in  a movie or two," Godling says.
   Apollo nods. "The original one spend most of his time reading about swords, not handling them."
   Ares says, "Looks like he's ready to return to earth."
   "That's good, I'm supposed to be on the set of my new movie today," Godling says.
   Apollo holds up a finger, "Okay, but don't forget, your work as our prophet and champion always comes first."
   "Sure," Godling says.

*

Mark Brant walks on the movie set. The director scolds him, "Brant! Why are you always late? If the booze is keeping you from appearing on the set you're going to have to quit drinking. There's too much money involved with this one."
    "No problem. I'll be here with the speed of Hermes next time. So to speak," Mark says.
    A beautiful, tanned blonde wearing a bright yellow dress is leaning against a trailer, arms crossed, pouting. "I hope you will, because I'm tired of waiting for you every day."
   Mark hugs her and kisses her on the mouth. "No worries, Tricia. And hey, you know you love me."
   She pushes him away. "Don't do that again. And just be sure you remember your lines."
   "Yeah, like we were asked for this flick because of our acting prowess. Come on, babe! We just need to look good and we both look delicious as ever."
   "Just shut up and act," the director says. "Okay, remember... In this scene Mark discusses why Tricia can't go out and search the caves alone..."
   "I can't believe how much we're ripping off Indiana Jones with this one," Mark says, shaking his head.
   "George didn't feel bad about that in relation to King Solomon," the director says. "Now get your hat and start the scene."

*
A helicopter nears the set. Inside a pilot and a good-looking female with dark hair and freckles. The female is holding a camera.
   "My editor is going to love this... First pictures from the set of  The Caves of Darkness," she says. "Here's where it pays off when you're dating a helicopter pilot."
   "Hope that's not the only reason we're dating, Bonnie" the pilot says.
   That's when the helicopter is hit by a lightning bolt, out of nowhere. The helicopter starts to spin, smoke coming from it's engine.
   "What happened?!" Bonnie yells.
   "Can't steady the helicopter..." the pilot says, teeth gritted. "We're going to be crashing down right on the set..."
   "And I didn't even start with my bucket list yet," Bonnie complains.

*
On Olympus Zeus smiles. "I still have one Hades of a throwing arm. Seems like I'm still more powerful than I thought."
    Apollo stands next to him and says, "I'm not sure about what you just did, father."
   "I just haven't got the patience to wait for something to happen so the new Godling can make his public entrance. I just had to help it along a bit. That's what us gods do, right?"

*
"Look! That helicopter! It's crashing down!" Tricia says, pointing in the air.
    Mark looks up. "That doesn't look good. Everybody take cover!"
   And as everyone on the set runs in every direction to take cover Mark uses the confusion to change into Godling. "Seems like I'm getting my official trial by fire sooner than I thought. I've got the strength of Heracles, right? Let's see how that works."
   He catches the helicopter with his bare hands, gently putting it down on the ground. Bonnie and her pilot get out, a bit bruised but mostly okay.
   "You saved us! You saved us! Wow, how can we thank you?" Bonnie says.
   "I've got an idea about that," Godling says and pulls Bonnie towards him, kissing her.
   The pilot grabs his arm. "Take it easy! That's my girl!"
    "I'm the emissary from the gods... I do what I want!" Godling says, pushing him away. The pilot crashes into the helicopter.
    "Whoa! That was uncalled for!" Bonnie says.
    "Sorry, forgot to power down there," Godling says. "So what were you doing in that helicopter? I see you've got a camera hanging around your neck... Are you with the press?"
    "Yeah, I work for the Entertainment Spy. Bonnie Colter's the name."
   "Well, have I got a scoop for you... You might have noticed I look a little bit different from the Godling you usually see on the news?"
   "Yeah, noticed the beard..."
   "And the goldilocks," Godling says, smiling and pointing at his hair. "Well, you see there's a new Godling in town. Same mission, same powers... Just bigger and better. I'm the biggest hero ever and I'm here to save all of YOU!"
   "Impressive. That was what the other Godling was here for as well, wasn't he?"
   "Suuuuuure... But did you ever interview him? Was he ever featured in GQ? Did sit in the jury of America's Got Talent? Well, this Godling is the hero of the people. I'm your own heroic superstar."
   "I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that," Bonnie says.
   "It means everything will be different," Godling says. "Anyway, are you free for dinner tonight?"
   "I'm with Steve," Bonnie says and points at the pilot, still on the ground. "And I will have to get these pictures to my editor."
   "If you ever change your mind..." Godling says and gives her another kiss. Then he flies off, leaving a befuddled reporter.

*

The mountains of Tibet, the castle of The Dark Monk and his followers. The Dark Monk is reading an ancient tome in his throne as one of his followers walks in.
   "Who disturbs me during my reading? Who dares and why?" he says, his fist already glowing.
    The follower holds up his hands. "Wait, master! I bring important news. Put on the TV, please."
   "The idiot tube?"
   "Please, you will be interested. I will do it for you," the follower says and switches on one of the many monitors in the room that is a strange combination of high-tech and medieval furnishing.
    A female, Asian reporter says on the screen, "We have just seen a scoop on the website of popular entertainment magazine The Entertainment Spy. It has pictures of what seems to be a new Godling, being interviewed by the Spy's star reporter Bonnie Colter. Miss Colter was not available for comment at the moment but we can show you all a picture of the new Godling..."
   "A new Godling? So soon after your battle with the original one? What happened to him? Did we kill him after all? Or has he just changed for some reason in some way? Interesting! Anyway, we will have to kill him to make sure he doesn't stand in our way. This Colter interviewed him? Maybe she can lead us to him. Get her!"
   "I will take care of it, master!" the follower promises.
*
Mark Brant sits in his hotelroom, drinking Scotch. "Man, what a rush that was today. And we even managed to finish shooting that scene. How can this all get even better I don't know..."
   There's knock at the door. Mark opens up. Tricia steps in, wearing a trenchcoat.
   "Hi darling," Mark says.
   "Hi yourself," Tricia says and drops the trenchcoat. She's wearing nothing underneath.
   Mark smiles a big and dirty smile. He thinks, Well, well seems things CAN get better. I really CAN channel the powers of Aphrodite...

NEXT ISSUE: What does Quentin Alexander think about all of this?