8FOLD/ACRA: Orphans of Mars: To Bell The Cat # 4

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 20:50:18 PDT 2014

On 7/12/2014 11:31 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> On Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:21:08 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
<snip>
>>> The only
>>> one Nerrine can count on, the only one she's ever counted on, is
>>> herself.
>>
>> Ah, my.
 >
 > So I think now that answers one of your questions from last time-- you were
 > wondering how Ress's rex tracker plan would result in the removal of
 > Nerrine.

Indeed! That makes sense - play on the "keep these people alive" aspect.

>> ...have they not seen any flying animals before this? o.o There wouldn't be
>> birds yet... or bats... and I guess insects are different. Huh. Okay. I guess
>> this is reasonable, then.
>
 > That was my line of thinking. There might have been insects on Mars as
 > well, but anything living that would be bigger than that being airborne
 > would be unheard of.

Yeah. Huh!

>>>      In its claws, it clutches something.
>>>      The tracker.
>>
>> D'oh!
>
> As I think you've said of the Orphans before, They Are Really Bad At This (TM).

To be fair, this is one of the more understandable screw-ups.

 > Thank you, Andrew. You don't know how much it means to me that Ress--
 > probably the least likeable of the Daughters-- elicits empathy from a
 > reader.

No problem! I think she fits nicely into the kind of antagonist character
readers find empathy with - the deeply screwed-up kind.

 > It's a very tricky thing, trying to make a reader care about a character
 > like Ress. It's definitely a challenge that I seem to be drawn to-- in both
 > my work here on RACC, and in the films I've made, I've returned to this
 > well again and again, with a very spotty record of success. That is,
 > sometimes it seems to work (Ress in this case), and sometimes it doesn't
 > (Anders from JOLT CITY, Leon from DOOMED ROMANCE).

As I've said, I thought Anders worked perfectly well. `.`v

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, Marscepticons