[8FOLD/MISC] What is this 'soul' thing you speak of, Earth man? (was: 8FOLD: Mighty Medley #7)

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 12 02:23:41 PDT 2014

Andrew Perron replied:
>> Uhm, I'm babbling, aren't I?  Perhaps if I make up a
>> metaphor on the spur of the moment: just as the phsyical
>> body has lots of parts, some of which can be compromised
>> and have greater or lesser effects (compare have an appendix
>> out versus the need for insulin injection or an iron lung,
>> or how some types of brain injury can be recovered from)
>> the metaphysical existence of a person is also made up of
>> bits (life force, soul, possibly other stuff) which can
>> also be compromised by injury, disease or loss.  Having
>> all the bits is usually a good idea, but losing some of
>> them can survival depending on the exact circumstances.
>
> Ahhhhhhh, I see. So, I would guess, what he lost was either not the full soul,
> or not other parts of that vague metaphysical being.

A very good point.  Again, I hadn't thought of it that way.  The
fact that Marcus made sure that the cauterisation wasn't life-
threatening would imply that he got rid of as much as he had to
and no more.  Further, all the carefully planned trickery implies
that if there was any loophole he could find, he would have used
it. All of which is a reasonable reading.

So perhaps I should clarify by saying that he fully destroyed
that part of himself that is capable of eternal life.  Further,
the purpose of this story installment was to show that there is
something that he wants so badly that he would do that, and if
necessary do it again.

---
Saxon Brenton