[8FOLD/MISC] What is this 'soul' thing you speak of, Earth man? (was: 8FOLD: Mighty Medley #7)

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 10 18:31:11 PDT 2014

Hurm.  Okay, for a very long time I have been aware that when
I start a thread the post I send gets posted almost immediatley,
but when I respond it takes maybe half a day for it to turn up.
That said, it has been several days now, and I will regrettfully
conclude that the post below has been eaten by Shub-Internet.

Fortunately copy'n'paste from the 'sent' file is the internet
equivalent of necromantic revivication...

On  sat 5th July 2014 Andrew Perron got to the nub of the issue and asked the
pointed question:
>> To obliterate your soul is neither easy nor painless, and requires a
>> single-mindedness that is quite rare these days.
>
> Hrm. Okay, question - what are we treating the soul *as*, in this case?
> There's a lot of different takes on it both in religion and in fiction. Is it
> an integral part of the self (apparently not, in this story)? Is it a "get
> into the afterlife free" ticket? Is it some immaterial source of ethics and
> nice feelings? Is it an agglomeration of "life force"? I'm good with any of
> these takes, I'm just curious as to which you're following.

Oo, er. You know, thinking about it, I have to admit
I haven't given much conscious thought to that angle.
I find that for the most part I'm reflexively working
on a model derived from a Harry Potter fanfic that I
read years ago - combined with bits and pieces from
other fiction and real world occultism  (To explicate
the Harry Potter connection: there's a subtle (very
subtle) distinction between soul and life force (and
even magical power, for those who have that ability)
but they're entwined together and unless you know what
to look for or have meticulous observation skills most
people don't notice.  Nevertheless that soul is the
basis of the persistence of identity when in a
disembodied state, including after death.)

[And, yes, part of the reason I've taken so long to
answer has been because I went back and looked up the
reference to make sure I wasn't misremembering too much...]

In the context of this story I'm not sure how well
that working model will do.  This is a superhero setting,
and the existence of the soul is a lot less nebulous when
you have supermages releasing that astral forms.  It
already has a certain amount of conflict with other
background info that I have for this story: for instance,
I don't think I'm giving away too much to say that the
reason that Marcus' wife died on cancer is because it
wasn't based a purely material malady: she caught an
infection of her astral double/soul which then had ported
over to her physical body, and the medicine available at
the time was only able to treat the physical symptoms,
but not the metaphysical disease.  (I'm pretty sure this
idea is based on something I once read from the Victorian
era British occultst Dion Fortune.)

Uhm, I'm babbling, aren't I?  Perhaps if I make up a
metaphor on the spur of the moment: just as the phsyical
body has lots of parts, some of which can be compromised
and have greater or lesser effects (compare have an appendix
out versus the need for insulin injection or an iron lung,
or how some types of brain injury can be recovered from)
the metaphysical existence of a person is also made up of
bits (life force, soul, possibly other stuff) which can
also be compromised by injury, disease or loss.  Having
all the bits is usually a good idea, but losing some of
them can survival depending on the exact circumstances.

---
Saxon Brenton  'wibbly-wobbly souly-wouly'