LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - June 2014

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 05:20:14 PDT 2014

On 7/7/2014 9:06 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 7/7/2014 4:17 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
>
>>      As I've said before, feedback makes communities stronger, and we
>> have some people in our commuity who are *really good* at feedback.
>> Saxon, I love your opinions and how you express them. Tom, I've also
>> been reading *your* reviews from 2006, and they're great. Scott,
>> you're... kind of already doing that; good job, keep it up.
>
> Hooray!  I'm adequate!  8{D>

More than! <3

> You've already seen my philosophy in action.  I think reviewing shouldn't be a
> chore, so I try to keep mine short and zippy.  And I don't feel I need to
> score review points - which would be wrong here because here I am,
> piggybacking on *yours*.

Well, your own are doing just fine. <3

>> "The big-ticket cascade and PRETTY MUCH the only thing that's going on
>> in the LNH right now returns!"
>
> oh, and just look at all that Legion content.  8{D>

Hey, the Kubes still count. <3 As well as Atomic Lapine.

>> "I'm actually worried about Psychovant now. He's grown on me! But this
>> status quo update is fascinating - an excellent use of the larger
>> cascade, reminiscent of Rob Rogers using Bad Forms or the Infinite
>> Leadership Crisis to push his characters into new areas."
>
> I have a secret for the readers of RACC:  This status update was Andrew's
> idea.  *My* idea was to dump Psychovant and his new bunny pal into cages in a
> biology lab in Power City 1955.  But first I checked with the guy who *wrote*
> the relevant preceding episode to see what he'd intended.  And he of course
> intended to end cascades.

Mwahahaha. <3 I like this better - we've got five different worlds colliding
so far!*

[* SW10, TW03, Looniverse, Tooniverse, and Super-Wizard.]

>> New Bosnia #2
>> "The Land of Coins and Diners"
>> A Superhuman World [SW10] miniseries
>> by Scott Eiler
>>
>> "What the Heck Is This: The Super-Savior and 143,999 others planned to
>> escape the Twilight of the Superhuman World with a land grab in an Earth
>> claimed by the Turkish Empire. The Turks were ready, but then a third
>> party intervened - Gavrilo, the Super-Wizard Monster Bee!"
>
> gee, Andrew, is this the 'nother chapter you intended?  It is to me.  8{D>

Heeheehee. I meant of Just Another Cascade. ^,^

>> "Ah, I shouldn't have worried - even sans most of his power, Psychovant
>> can take care of himself. Also, Scott's reactions are pretty dang
>> adorable. I'm looking forward to #3!"
>
> gee, the Super-Savior was pretty cute at times, but *I* didn't see the Author
> being adorable in this issue.  Did I blink and miss something?

I meant the Super-Savior, yeah. XD

>> "Nitpick: Shouldn't Gavrilo's servant-bee be more careful about saying
>> his name, due to the 'if you know a Super Wizard's name you're immune to
>> their Super Wizard powers' rule? Indeed, how does said servant know the
>> name in the first place?"
>
> Aww, dammit, you're right!  Sort of.  On the one hand, Gavrilo is increasingly
> bound by bee rules instead of Super Wizard rules now, and (in my opinion) the
> Killer Beeszzz from Beyond *share their names* in their common bee tongue.
> That's exactly why Gavrilo got himself as far from Beyond as he could in the
> first place, so as not to compromizzze Super Wizzzards.  On the other hand,
> Gavrilo was a *hermit* Super Wizard and probably didn't share *anything* he
> didn't have to.  I reserve the right to retcon this, but I shall have to
> consider some dandy plot interactions first.

Hmmmm! *nods* Fair enough! <3

>> "I'm reminded of a comment about Star Trek, and about various episodes
>> that revolved around playing by a specific planet's weird rules (for
>> instance, the one where all crimes were punished with the death penalty
>> in a random part of the planet, and then Wesley like broke a greenhouse
>> or something?) or they wouldn't join the Federation. And about how, if
>> the Klingons or the Romulans or basically anyone else in the Trekverse
>> were trying to add that planet to *their* empire, the conflict between
>> politeness and saving their crewmate would be... well, much less of a
>> conflict."
>
> I recall Wesley facing the death penalty for walking on the grass.  That
> episode was perhaps the very first I'd ever seen of the new series, and I
> don't recall there being a lot of dynamic tension about the enemies of the
> Federation wanting to annex that particular garden spot.  Indeed, I don't
> recall how it worked out.  The only tension I recall was the planetary
> authorities saying "Obviously we can't stop you", and obviously they didn't,
> and the planet was never important again...  but I digress.

Well, yeah - the point wasn't that people other than the Federation were
actually involved in that episode; the episode was about the tension between
respecting the people who live on this planet and their culture and their
values vs. not letting a crewmember die a pointless death. The point was, what
if someone who didn't care about respecting cultural values found themselves
in the same situation.

>> The Super Wizard From Space #45-47
>> "The Red Hand of General Dragutin" Parts 2-4
>> A Marlo Vivo [MV] series
>> by Wil Alambre
>
> oh, is that what MV stands for?

I think so - that was one of Wil's older series, and I believe he resurrected
the tag for Super Wizard.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, THEY NEED THE MOON