LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - June 2014

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:40:32 PDT 2014

On Monday, July 7, 2014 7:17:35 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:

>     I'd like to challenge everyone on RACC to do either one review or one
>
> substantive reply to someone else's story per month.

I'll try my best to meet that challenge. The critical muscles and the creative muscles are very different muscles, so it can be difficult to come up with something meaningful to say.

> Journey Into #19
>
> "Wobblies on a Train!"
>
> An Eightfold [8FOLD] series {HCC46}
>
> by Tom Russell

> "In essence, two of the Eightfoldiverse's B-listers accidentally run
>
> into each other on a train, and almost come to blows before discovering
>
> each other's identities (in what looks like an homage to Superman #76
>
> and/or Superman/Batman Annual #1)

Not an intentional homage to any particular story-- just playing with the trope.

> "Hotspur's a good villain for this. He's not just a maniacal destroyer;
>
> he's also a gimmick-based theme villain perfect for a Modern-Age-
>
> interpretation-of-the-Silver-Age story such as this one. And the Modern
>
> Age-iest part of the story, the shifting between Dr. Metronome's
>
> viewpoint and Knockout Mouse's, does exactly what the best of such
>
> interpretations do - gets into the head of the characters and brings
>
> their emotions to the forefront."

Thank you kindly.

> Nonfiction #2
>
> "The New War"
>
> An Eightfold [8FOLD] story
>
> by Tom Russell
> "...oh, hey, I kept reading and the story itself came to that conclusion
>
> as well. Well! Very good then!"

I am to deliver. :-)

> "...right, moving right along. The story(ish) makes some very good
>
> points about the different kinds of alien invasion. (I note that the
>
> 'universal locusts' model is explicitly how the aliens from Independence
>
> Day were described - coincidence? Inspiration?) I already made points on

Coincidence. Not a fan of that picture.

> And I note that the idea of 'the last
>
> story' is an interesting one - but hopefully, not what Tom's aiming for
>
> just yet."

No comment (directly) but one should note that Eightfold stories tend to be tied to specific times and places, so even if there's a "last story"-- and I'm not saying there is!-- there are still all the stories that took place before it...

==Tom