MISC: The Great Alice, Chapter 1: The Offer

James Mason mason.james.jamesmason at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 15:56:53 PDT 2014

                             The Great Alice
                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                           Chapter 1: The Offer

   "What do you want?"

   "Excuse me?" Alice said. She was a little shocked and a little annoyed
that someone would just come up and ask her something like that so
bluntly. She wondered if this person knew what "boundaries" were. She
decided to not even look at the person and just keep staring at her
coffee.

   "I'm sorry, was I too forward?" the weird person asked.

   "A bit," Alice grunted.

   "Sorry. I meant to say that I could grant your wishes as long as you
do something for me."

   Alice was, of course, skeptical. "Okay, first - how do I know you can
even grant even half the things I could wish for?"

   "Try looking at me."

   Alice almost didn't want to even humor this pointless request, but
since she figured it would be super easy to do she did so. However, she
suddenly took a swig of her coffee without thinking and was unable to
see whoever she was talking to. She didn't even notice that she had done
so until after she finished.

   "Huh? Why did I..."

   "Do you remember how you got here?"

   Alice realised that she can't remember anything before she was asked
that question. "Is this a dream?"

   "Sort of. Most people would wake up once they realised they were in a
dream, unless they were trained for it."

   Alice, confused but willing to listen, asked, "You said you would
grant my wish if I do something for you?"

   "Yes. I can grant any wish you want, but you have to use what you
wish for to fight monsters."

   "Monsters?" Alice asked.

   "Yes, monsters."

   "What are the monsters like?" Alice asked.

   "Oh, you know, beastly and aggressive."

   "Why do I have to fight monsters?"

   "Because they could become strong enough to affect reality. Mostly in
a negative way," clarified the mysterious person.

   "Jeez, that's a lot of pressure to put on a person. I have to
constantly fight monsters?"

   "No, just when they show up."

   "When does that happen?" asked Alice.

   "Probably erratically."

   "Great," Alice sighed.

   "You don't have to take it. I can find someone else."

   "No! I mean... you said you would grant any wish I wanted, right?" she
asked.

   "Yes. Though you have to use what you wish for to fight monsters. So I
recommend stuff that makes you powerful."

   "All right, then. Just give me some time to think."