8FOLD/HCC: Nonfiction # 2 (part 2), "Other Lives"

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 22 13:04:51 PST 2014

On Fri 21 feb 2014 Andrew Perron replied to Tom Russell:

>              During the editing process, however, I revisited
> > Andrew's original post and began to think that I had
> > misread/misunderstood the parameters of the challenge. I think whether
> > or not I did depends on the meaning of the word "put".
> >    If by "put them in an alternate universe" he meant to displace the
> > characters, SLIDERS-like, then "Other Life" is good to go. If by "put
> > them in an alternate universe" he meant to reimagine existing
> > characters in the context of a different genre, then "Other Life"
> > doesn't really address the challenge at all. I began thinking that
> > maybe I should work on another story that would more properly fit
> > Andrew's challenge.
>
> Going to cover this in more detail in the roundup, but: I meant the latter,
> but doing the former fits the challenge 100%! And heck, I love it when that
> happens - when an idea gets taken in an entirely different direction than
> expected.

Because different people have different reactions to being bitten by
plot bunnies, and the variation in symptoms is always so interesting.

---
Saxon Brenton
Isn't sure whether he's channeling Dr Stomper, Vapid Vetinarian or the
diabolical Professor Longitude