8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 2, February 2014, by Messrs. Brenton, Perron & Russell

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 13:41:14 PST 2014

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 03:49:11 +0000 (UTC), Tom Russell wrote:

And since I commented on the first issue in the Roundup, I figured I'd just
go ahead and comment on the second issue here, no matter how many weeks
it's been!

<snip>
> Valentine's Day, 2013.
>    Welp!, Aunt Dani was right (Darkhorse decides): holiday-themed
> villains are the worst.

Oh god. XD

> Christmas
> especially seems to bring out the crazies, and that's not even
> touching on the group that gallivanted about Atlanta actually really
> literally calling themselves the Christmas Crazies. But they were
> mostly fun-psychotic, not psychotic-psychotic.

Sort of like how the Sherlock version of Holmes is fun-sociopathic.

> In one minute, Darkhorse will be dead.
> Also delicious. But mostly dead, and that's the part that worries her.

This is an amazing line.

> Before help arrives, she has just enough time, working in the
> slow-motion the rest of us call the speed of life, to dress herself
> and Heartbreaker. Probably going to bed with a romantically obsessed
> villain was not the best idea, long-term. But it worked. And
> Heartbreaker wasn't half-bad.

...ohhhhh *my*. <3 <3 <3 Talk about a fast operator.

>      Joan turned the painting over, and quickly considered the
> situation.  Deidre didn't have the desperate air of someone who had
> encountered something strange and dangerous, and was now at wit's end
> trying to figure out what to do about it.  This would normally be a
> pleasant change, but it did leave Joan at a slight disadvantage.
> Carefully she asked, "And you called for help in dealing with this?"
>      "I did indeed."  Deidre cocked her head to one side and gave
> Joan an inquiring look.  "And you... hadn't been expecting that, had
> you?"

Oho. Interesting - feeling each other out.

> Her eyes scanned the room, searching for potential trouble.
> "Okay, I admit that I've had only a few direct dealings with Heaven,
> but from past experience I would have expected you to be a bit better
> briefed.

Me too. o.o More intriguingness!

>      "And it's not made of matter," added Joan.
>      Deidre's eyes flickered back to the painting that lay on the table
> between them.  "Well now.  That *is* exotic."

Eh. It doesn't m--*VACUUM ENERGY'D*

>    So he never thought to himself: it's not fit for my boy to kill so
> natural; a father should make sure his son learns a trade, but that's
> not the trade I want him to learn; he's going to keep on learning that
> trade if I keep going on mine, as that comes with the job; if I could
> get some real money, enough money, I could retire-like, and then see
> that he learns himself proper, becomes a banker maybe, or a lawyer, or
> something like that that a man needs learning for; hard life out here
> in the West, hard and lawless, and that ain't no way to raise a boy.
> None of that ever went through his head.
>    But when Silke met Paul Strife in Bleeding Branch, he immediately
> thought to himself, "I can make enough money so that I can retire and
> the boy can be raised in gentler climes", though not those words
> precisely, as if he had been working on the problem every sleepless
> night. As if he had just been waiting, eyes keen, for an opportunity
> to present itself, and now it had.

Very efficient, much like the man.

>    Strife's initial offer was not large enough, just a little bit of
> money to find a man by name of Peake who'd gone missing. "And from
> what I've heard, Mr. Silke, you're the man to find him." Silke nodded,
> then managed to tease out the why and wherefores, mostly doing so
> without saying anything at all.
>    After Strife told his story, Silke spoke. "To take back your land,
> you'll need more than one man, even one as... particular as Peake."

Hmmmm! Details TBR!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, also my story's awesome <3