SW10/REVIEW: Catalog of Earths, 2014 Update #3 of 5: The Web Comics

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 22:25:53 PST 2014

On 12/29/2014 11:14 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 12/29/2014 12:32 AM, Andrew Perron wrote:
<snip>
>> I was going to say-- it seems a world that runs on, perhaps,
>> metafictional principles?
>
> That's an interesting category, but practically all superhumans run on
> metafiction by now.  Or is it only metafiction if some fraction of heroes
> accept metafiction's presence?  Can that fraction be just Ambush Bug and the
> She-Hulk, or does it have to be half the size of the LNH?

I don't think it's acknowledgement so much as the mechanics of how it works -
like, the Mechanical Webcartoonist/Mechanical Author is something that can
only exist in a world where the metafictional act of creating the world is
itself part of the world. (Admittedly, Grant Morrison has moved into this
space some, but it's still not "normalized" in the same way.)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, metaform and metafunction