SW10/REVIEW: Catalog of Earths, 2014 Update #3 of 5: The Web Comics

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Dec 29 20:14:26 PST 2014

On 12/29/2014 12:32 AM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On 12/28/2014 7:42 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
>> On 12/28/2014 4:09 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
>>> On 12/26/2014 4:56 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I think this one pretty well illustrates the problem with the Council's
>>> classification system.
>>
>> I know we've had this discussion before...  I admit the "Ripping Off King
>> Arthur" continuity might be Tech or Superhuman, depending on where
>> beds and
>> web comics get their power from there.  But I don't really see a
>> problem with
>> the classification system.  Still, there might be room for a new
>> category...
>> I'm tempted to call it "Absurdist".
>
> I was going to say-- it seems a world that runs on, perhaps,
> metafictional principles?

That's an interesting category, but practically all superhumans run on
metafiction by now.  Or is it only metafiction if some fraction of
heroes accept metafiction's presence?  Can that fraction be just Ambush
Bug and the She-Hulk, or does it have to be half the size of the LNH?

>>> ...you may want to chew on that a bit.
>>
>> Oh, I am...  Whenever Ordered Realities shows up in my stories (even
>> the ones
>> which never made it onto RACC), they're effectively villains.  But really
>> they're only villainous in the same sense the U.S. Congress is. They
>> don't
>> exactly live up to heroic ideals, but they make deals and muddle through.
>
> Heh heh. <3 Makes sense. I meant that for the Council themselves, tho!

heh.  I sense most people who are called "villains" (in real life or
otherwise) see themselves as realistic pursuers of personal liberty.
Much of the Council of Ordered Realities is likewise.  The Council's
analysts therefore only use the term "villain" in personal reports to
the Chancellor.

I know. - Archie Andrews