SW10/REVIEW: Catalog of Earths, 2014 Update #3 of 5: The Web Comics

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Dec 26 13:56:38 PST 2014

UNIVERSE:  Ripping Off King Arthur

- Type:  Mystic, apparently

- Chronicler:  Arthur Spitzer

- Chronicler's Web Site:  http://www.rippingoffkingarthur.com/

- Activity:  roughly every two weeks

- Relevance:  Major and increasing.  This continuum derives from LNH and
has *at least* one cosmic threat which might ravage any universe it
touches.  This threat now dominates its world, at least until 2024 in at
least one alternate future.

- Threat Analysis:  Major as for last year.  This universe is
self-contained and does not let its residents out, even when they want
to escape.  But as noted under "Relevance", its threat level is cosmic.
  Even its lower-level adventurers seem silly at first, but they often
surprise their enemies with their competence.

- Critique:  The sentient cartoon from last year has made its move for
world domination.  It remains to be seen who may effectively oppose it.
  Indeed, the Writer has put that storyline on hold to republish one of
his old adventures, "A Suicide in Destiny City".  Republishing old
adventures as comic strips is an SW10 tradition also.  But this case is
pleasantly similar to the middle of the Tolkien novel "Silmarillion",
wherein a Dark Lord started a war - which became a backdrop for a love
story.

Also worth noting:  a porn cartoon series has spun off from this.  We
might have to investigate Earth-Spank in particular.  But don't
binge-read that series; it'll burn your cognitive functions out before
you can comprehend the rules for their poker games!

- Hyper-Piper's Comments:  Pornographic fantasy is beneath me, because I
have lived everything any fantasist can imagine.  But I see this Writer
is guiding his main universe toward Hyperpocalypse, and his Artist
improves in his craft.  Beware this one.

---

UNIVERSE:  Continentals

- Type:  Tech

- Chroniclers:  Darryl Hughes and Monique MacNaughton

- Chronicler's Web Site:
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php

- Activity:  Weekly

- Relevance:  Unlikely, as for last year.  This universe is
self-contained and unlikely to interact with others.

- Threat Analysis:  Inconsequential but increasing.  This universe has
low-level tech, and its adventures take place in Victorian England.  But
it has a mad-scientist villain.  Perhaps we might contact him after he
is inevitably defeated.  For some reason, villains seem more inclined to
interact positively with our Council than heroes do.

- Critique:  As for last year.  The story has advanced at roughly the
pace of two comic books, which stands to reason from publication of one
comic book page each week.  That is to say, we might see a resolution
one or two years from now.

- Hyper-Piper's Comments:  Ah, an interest in genetics.  I approve...
Oh, you wished my opinion of the heroes?

---

UNIVERSE:  Chevalier

- Type:  Mystic (probably)

- Chronicler(s):  Darryl Hughes and Monique MacNaughton

- Chronicler's Web Site:
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/chev/series.php

- Activity:  Weekly

- Relevance:  Interaction with the Council is unlikely but feasible

- Threat Analysis:  Minor but increasing.  Its crusading heroes (from a
sentient species of mouse) have subconscious wizard-level powers not
quite like anyone anywhere else.  If they ever discover that other
universes exist, we can't rule out their *wishing* themselves our way,
along with any reality storms they might summon along the way.

- Critique:  The mice in this story smite their human enemies as though
they were fired from muskets.  Even their burps have power.  If the
reader can get past that, though, it's a magnificent story.

- Hyper-Piper's Comments:  Oh, please.  Simply admit there are
fundamental Powers which sentient beings may draw upon, and it helps
when those beings proclaim themselves heroes.  I am no hero, but I have
used many such.

--- Next:  PART 4:  Legacy Universes ---

I know. - Archie Andrews