SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1969 #14: Let Me Tell You About Power!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Aug 30 12:24:32 PDT 2014

As things escalate to near maximum, another hero has what may be his
finest moment...  Powernaut 1969 continues.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1969b.htm#14

  have a concept of Conservation of Characters. This expresses itself
here as, Son of Stonewater Smith = the Devil in White = Ron Cannon =
Kwame Cannon. (The Devil in White was a background character for
Ellipsis. Ron came in from a convention game, when I needed characters
for the  Aleutian Crisis of 2004 -
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2004/aleut.htm .  Kwame changed his
name from Ron, and once appeared in a Powernaut text short-short story
which got rejected for Jolt City.) Now that I am exploring the origin of
Ellipsis, I have an even more explosive equivalency, which I mentioned
in last week's commentary. I literally came up with that idea while
writing that commentary. Oh, shit...

On that note, here's some more commentary, and another opinion about
that Finest Moment stuff.

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary from Steven Oliver Samuels
(S.O.S.)!   He Told Hyper-Children About Power

At a critical point in our 1969 expedition, the self-proclaimed
Powernaut turned aside two Hyper-Children by giving them a vision of the
evils of power. I have to admit, that saved us. I can now comment on how
those children grew up, and whether they were affected by his teachings.

• Wyatt Ferguson was old enough to understand the full message. Recently
in 2003, he published his diary under the title, With Great Power Comes
Great Irrelevance. I have to conclude, he remains warped by the 1969
incident.

• Stephen Wolcott (Ellipsis), on the other hand, was roughly five
minutes old at the time. His mind had artificially advanced to its
eventual super-genius status, but he was still an infant. In later life,
he ceaselessly sought increasing power, no matter the consequences. (I
helped the U.S. Government ward him off in 1992.) I conclude, he forgot
the teachings and recovered from the incident.

I'm uncertain how I feel about this. On the one hand, society has dealt
with the power of Ellipsis despite his having been *unsuccessfully*
brainwashed to renounce power - and in some respects, he's used his
power for the good of society. On the other hand, the 1969 brainwashing
seems to have held for Wyatt Ferguson. His reaction to great power has
uniformly been to renounce it. Given the amount of power he's renounced
over his career, that may be safest for the world. But how can that be
*proper*?

I know. - Archie Andrews