MISC: OCTO-BOY # 1: Octo-Boy's First Day part 1 by J. Vandersteen

jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 14:17:29 PDT 2014

How rewarding to see so much thoughts on the first issue of Octo-Boy. A lot of your comments are right on the money. Yes, it will be more of the 'brighter' side of comics with REAL heroes. But yes, things will get darker for Matt Tatum. Where Peter Parker was a nerd with little friends his life as Spidey changed a lot for the better. Matt is already a popular kid, we will see how his life as a suphero will interfere with that. As what happens to his mom, you will have to read next issue but it will indeed be very important to the origin.
I gave him the age of 15 because I really don't think I can write a younger character well enough and of course because it was Spidey's age when the series started.
Scott mentions the substitute hero was a 80's trope, but isn't it a 90's one?