8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 4, April 2014, by Messrs. Brenton, Perron & Russell

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 19:44:46 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:18:54 PM UTC-4, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 4/2/2014 7:29 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> > I told Mary that this was either the best or the worst thing I've
> > written. My intention was to do something sensationalist,
> > hyper-violent, and deliberately unpolished-- 100% thrills, no
> > nuance/
>
> Ah.  I thought you were maybe trying for manga style.

There are certainly influences of Japanese pop culture present (or the American stereotyping thereof)-- the character name itself being a tip of the hat to Galaxy 999, which is basically about a kid gunfighter killing robots on a steam-powered space train (though watching it now, it is a lot more depressing than that sounds)-- but I think the primary influence are the old Judge Dredd stories from the early issues of 2000 AD.

==Tom