8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 4, April 2014, by Messrs. Brenton, Perron & Russell

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:29:14 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:07:47 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:

> I like how you save time by not explaining at all who this is.

Thanks.

> I love the use of vibration in this one.

Thanks. I've always liked speedsters, but because the "running fast" aspect of their powers is more visual and harder to communicate in prose, I've been relying more heavily on the vibration and perception-of-time powers.

> I think that, of your Darkhorse mini-stories, this one does the action
> best.

Thank you.

> > So under normal circumstances he
> > wouldn't have spectated. But Silke felt that throb in him, same throb
> > what brought him to Adams and Gulliver, only now it was pointed at one
> > of the four micks at the next table.
>
> It's a useful power for plot. <3

Indeed, sir.

> > A machine armed with an ancient Martian beam pistol, he has been
>
> > programmed to investigate and punish all robo-crimes! He is...
>
> > DETECTIVE 999!
>
> Ooooooooh. Yes. (Wait, ancient Martian... oooooooh)

Yep, one of Ress's, as confirmed in JOLT CITY # 21.

> >    "No!" says Three-Nine. "Because I will kill you instead!" He fires
> > his beam pistol!
> >    Steropes just laughs, a laser beam ripping through his human eye!
> > It ricochets inside his brain, bouncing off the dinonium! He screams!
> >    "A million-to-one shot!" says Tiger. "You killed him!"
> >    Lemon's ghost appears! "Now my spirit can rest! Thank you,
> > Detective Three-Nine!"
>
> ...I'm very confused.

I told Mary that this was either the best or the worst thing I've written. My intention was to do something sensationalist, hyper-violent, and deliberately unpolished-- 100% thrills, no nuance/

But, to explain the ending:

The beam pistol bounces off the dinonium. The head of the cyborgs is covered in dinonium except for his one eye. Three-Nine shoots him in the eye, the one vulnerable spot, and kills him. Lemon Sweet was murdered by the cyborgs, and when she is avenged, her spirit can rest.

> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, bwah-huh?

==Tom