SW10/REPOST: Me 2003, Wave 2 #2: Four Heroes

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 16:36:46 PDT 2013

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 06:14:07 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

<snip>
> I've been traveling in the places where the story's Nevada vs.
> California backstory matters.  The pivotal historic character is one
> Isaac Roop.  In California, he was this very week portrayed in his home
> town as a rebellious tax-evading loonie in a cabin.  (And I've seen the
> recreated cabin!  http://www.eilertech.com/photos/2013/ca/roop2.jpg)  In
> Nevada, his portrait hangs in the Statehouse as a Provisional
> Territorial Governor!  (And I've seen the portrait!
> http://www.eilertech.com/photos/2013/nv/roop.jpg)

Fascinating.

> I fixed a misspelling and updated a broken hyperlink when I reviewed the
> story today.  Other than that, I present the story here without
> revision.  It describes very well the reasons Ellipsis and Wyatt
> Ferguson don't get along.

Oho. A very important bit of backstory indeed.

> And it sets up my 2004 plotline, which pretty
> well *broke my whole story* and let the Powernaut get in to run things
> in 2005.

Narrative collapse!

> Four Heroes. It's a lot like Goofus and Gallant in the children's
> magazines, only brought to you with corporate sponsorship by  Nevada
> Power and Light.

This is definitely going to turn out well.

> • First hero: "Captain Mighty". They've found a Superman clone or
> something, and made him their spokesman. He's at the party. When  he
> sees a storm coming, he lets a woman talk him into erasing the storm
> front with super-speed. She must have been his public relations contact
> or something.

Interesting - this guy I don't think has shown up in any of the stories
you've posted so far.

> • Ellipsis is moderately well guarded. But I don't need to meet him;
> I've already met him, at least once a year since 1999. We're getting to
> be like those annual teamups in the comic books.

It's like fight and team up, only mostly fight.

> • The government of California doesn't like this idea much either. ◦
> When Nevada came into existence in 1864, it claimed everything east of
> the Sierra Nevada mountain range, including such lovely territory as
> Death Valley. Some California and Nevada county sheriffs actually
> fought a war for possession of one county. (Do a Web search on
> "Sagebrush War" if you don't believe me.) Now Nevada's bringing back its
> old claim, because it wants the extra land to set up its power arrays in.

I would think that'd be impossible to bring back at this point.

> Anyway, I don't think much of that agenda. In fact, I think loudly and
> negatively against it throughout the party. I'm  sure  I got Ellipsis's
> attention; I saw him grimace. (18 April, 22 October)

...wait, so did anything actually happen in this story?

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, I'm a little confused. o.o