SW10/HCC/WWW: Powernaut 1944 #7: Power Stars starring Stonewater Smith!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat May 18 18:51:45 PDT 2013

Finally the story can be told.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1944.htm#7

There was of course controversy.  So I have copious Author's Notes...

Oooh, the series is going into extra innings!  The world is demanding
more characters with One Minute Origins, and that's what Power Stars
1944 specializes in!  The world is also probably wondering why that one
guy in Powernaut 1962 is called "Stonewater" Smith.  I hope to explain
that here.

But there's a *lot* of controversy about any 1944 comic starring a Negro
trained to fight white men.  Even some of my *2013* public cartooning
audience saw the drawings *without color* and said, "You have a
political agenda, don't you?"  I responded, "No, I'm writing about Negro
aviators of World War 2 by accident."  I wish I'd added, "That's not
politics, it's history."  The history of the Tuskegee airmen is fairly
well known.

In our own timeline:  There was a comic book about Negro heroes in 1947.
  There were promotional posters about Negro airmen during the war.  So
I'm declaring that Power Stars Starring Stonewater Smith was published
with authentic black-tone coloring, because white-tone wouldn't have
fooled anyone.

As for the aviation:  I went to visit Boeing's History of Flight Museum
while I was researching this episode.  That's where I found out about
the promotional posters.  They do not admit to miniature planes in World
War 2, any more than they admit to miniature aviators.  But military
forces *love* miniature planes, as witness the modern use of drone
aircraft.  So I've assumed a prototype mini-plane, a modified trainer,
that could only hold a mini-pilot.  I put a *bit* of extra effort into
making the plane look inspirational instead of cartoonish, because the
Army cared about its promotional art.

As for boy heroes: The combatants were enlisting people awfully young by
1944.  (My own father got in at the age of 16.  I am therefore one of
the youngest sons of any World War 2 veteran.)  In any world where there
were Boy Hero comics such as S.O.S., the U.S. Army would be looking for
more boy heroes.  They probably lumped Stonewater Smith in with the
Tuskegee pilots for convenience.  They also granted him an exemption
from the 20/20 vision requirement for pilots, because how hard can it be
to make corrective goggles anyway.

As for St. Louis: A comment came up in Powernaut 1962 that St. Louis is
not particularly threatening as viewed by the nation at large.  However,
even Detroit and Chicago did not quite have their current reputations
for violence then.  I've put young Mr. Smith in Chicago Bears colors,
which actually *helped* him fit in to St. Louis in 1944, but not enough.
I actually researched NFL franchise history to say that.
(http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/franchises.aspx)

Power Stars Starring Stonewater Smith was probably not popular at the
time. But I never said Powernaut comics were always popular.

I know. - Archie Andrews