GC: Correspondence From the Goddess #11: Better Living Through Modern Chemistry

mrnelson007 at gmail.com mrnelson007 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 15:56:33 PDT 2013

Today's entry is brought to you by Literary Impossible, a new writing group, of which I am a founding member along with a couple other lovely RACC members, Adrian McClure and Andrew Perron.  You can check out our currently-really-dull Tumblr at http://literaryimpossible.tumblr.com and as always you can keep up with the current adventures of Lydia Devin at http://goddesscorrespondence.tumblr.com

You know, on some level, I’m enjoying my quiet time. I’ve finally had a chance to catch up on my reading. I do hope I can go back and finish my studies someday, though. I find learning about human history so fascinating. I think that if a species on another world were to ever contact us, I would spend most of my time just learning about their history and what they’ve been through. Maybe their legends. Do they have legends of God, and if so, what are they like? I’d like very much to know that, I think.

- Elana

How ironic. I finally start leaving my room more often, but every time I want to talk to Elana, she has her face buried in some book. Still, at least she’s happy. Seems to be, anyway. I used to just make whatever book she wanted, but she kept insisting that it’s “not the same”. The same as what, I’m not sure, but I’m guessing it’s “not the same” as going and wasting time in the store to pick it out, or whatever the hell. So, we worked out a deal. Once a week, I make her a portal to some random spot in the city where she can step out and go shopping or whatever she wants to do. I let her out early Sunday morning so she can go to church, which she still wants to do for some fucking reason. And then I pick her up after dinner. It’s improved her mood, I think. Yeah, I know, she was all smile and bunnies on the outside, but I know it was getting to her to be stuck in here all the time like that.

Honestly? I’m just glad I can cheer her up a little bit. I think the worst part of all this is seeing her so frustrated all the time. I hope this helps brighten her mood in the long run.

“Good, good. We were hoping you would say that.” The Executive leaned back a little in his chair, which creaked a bit under his immense weight. Or at least it did in my head. He was fat, okay? That’s what I’m trying to get at here.

“Yeah, yeah. So anyway. You know who I am, and you know who she is.” I pointed over at Elana, giving the duo across from me a glare. “But we have no idea who you are. So enlighten us. Fair’s fair, right?”

“Well, not that you really have the right to demand anything. Plus, you really should show some respe-” Tits started, more than a little annoyed at my perceived transgression. She was quickly silenced by a glance from the Executive, who sat up straight and nodded.

“Of course, of course. My apologies. That was rather rude, wasn’t it? Now then. I am Albert Carter, CEO of Carter Pharmaceuticals.” He smiled, but it was a suspicious smile, the kind that made it hard to believe he was terribly sincere about it. But, maybe I was just overly suspicious of the random person who knew a lot about me and seemed to be following me around and taking a disturbing interest in what I was doing. Yeah, must be that. “And this is my personal assistant, Rachel Hawkins.”

Tits Rachel gave a smile too, and a polite nod of her head. “Yes, that’s me. I’m sorry for my… outburst earlier. It’s nice to meet you.” Somehow, she seemed worse than the fat man. It wasn’t anything in the way she was acting or the way she looked. I can’t say what it was. Maybe it was just a vibe I got from her, but she seemed like she deserved something better than this. Wait, what am I saying? She’s probably just coasting on the sweet life while she can and getting whatever she wants for free whenever she sleeps with him. Ugh. Sell-out, but that’s still better than me sitting on my ass all day.

“Yeah, yeah. A pleasure, or something. For you, anyway.” I smirked, once again resuming my efforts to not let them intimidate me. It was a bit easier now that I knew their names, at least. Brought us a bit closer to being on the same level. “So, now that the boring introductions are out of the way, what can I do for you?”

“Oh, such a hurry. What a shame. And here I was hoping we could get to know each other better.” Albert laughed, which quickly transformed into a hacking cough as he covered his mouth. The rest of us sat around looked uncomfortable for a few seconds until he calmed down. “Ugh. Excuse me.” He frowned, clearing his throat.

I waited a few seconds to make sure he wasn’t about to hock a loogie onto my shirt before speaking again. “Yeah, I don’t think so. You people obviously want something, and I want to know what it is. No more wasting time with stupid shit like ‘hi how you doing?’ or something. None of us care and I’d really rather we just move on to what you’re after.”

“Uh, sis…” Elana spoke quietly, leaning over to whisper into my ear. “You probably shouldn’t antagonize them, you know. Generally you should at least be polite to big powerful men that can do bad things. Don’t give them a reason to not like you.”

“Please. I know what I’m doing, okay?” I have no fucking clue what I’m doing here. “You’re too nice, sis, you know that? You have to be brave or they’re going to walk all over you.”

“Are you two done?” Al asked, crossing his arms and giving us an annoyed look. “I’d appreciate it if you didn’t waste my time. If you’re not going to listen, leave.” He pointed to the door.

“Geez, enough with the hostile act already.” I huffed.

“Well you did kind of interrupt them, like I told you not to do and all…”

“Shut up, sis.” I sighed, rubbing my forehead. “You are not helpful. Do you know that? Not helpful at all.”

“Well maybe if you listened before-”

“A-HEM.” He cleared his throat, making us both sit up straight in spite of ourselves. “Well?”

“Oh, fine. Let’s do this.”

“Good.” He smiled a smile that seemed to say we never had much of a choice regardless. “Now then. What we want is simple. We want to study you. Well, that’s not nearly as bad as it sounds, before you object. We want to figure out why you can do what you can do, and use it to help people. You see, with your unique talents, maybe we can make drugs that could do amazing things. But we can’t do that without your help. You would be a hero. And well-compensated, of course. What do you say?”

“NO!” Even I was startled when Elana slammed her fist down on the table, rattling the coffee cup in front of Albert. “No, no no no. We’re leaving. Now.” She stood up, tugging on my arm with surprising force as she tried to get me to leave.

“Sheesh, fine, calm down. Sorry guys.” I stood up, following behind her. As soon as we were out of sight, I stopped, glaring at her and shouting. “What the HELL, sis?! I thought you’ve been wanting me to be a hero or something. Well guess what?! That was my chance. I could make a difference, without putting myself in any danger. I’m not an idiot, I’m not going to go to their super-secret lab or something where they can do something like lock me up. We need money at some point, and I have do something or I’ll build up and get headaches and shit.”

She turned around, and for a minute she looked like a completely different person. I had never seen her so angry, her fists clenched as she glared at me. “No. I forbid it. Listen to me for once you stupid-” And then, suddenly, she calmed down, taking a few deep breaths and closing her eyes. “Just please, okay? This is a really bad idea. I don’t trust them, and we can do something else to get the money. We can get jobs or something. There’s plenty of things we can do that are better than this.”

“Okay, fine.” I sighed, shaking my head. “You win, El. I’ll drop it. Alright?”

“…good.” She smiled, turning away and starting to walk again.

Pfft, fuck that. I’m not stupid, sis. And I’m going to prove it. I pulled out my phone. I still had the number from last night, on my caller ID. That night, I called and left them a message. “I’m in.”

- Lydia