LNH/META: Personal Best

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Mar 23 03:39:52 PDT 2013

On 3/22/2013 3:19 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> One of the reasons why I make things-- such as works of fiction-- is
> so that I can enjoy them later. This happens pretty rarely though.
> It's hard to look back at something I've made without wishing (1) I
> had done it better or (2) I hadn't done it at all. This is especially
> true of my fiction-- the hundreds of "stories" I wrote for the LNH
> between 1997 and, say, 2000 are hardly gems.

err, I did lots of stuff in the 1990s.  Well, actually I wrote it in the
1980s.  If you think your own stuff is an incredible load of crap, I
saved all of mine to compare it with.  And I am anal-retentive, so I
saved it all despite having *no* people to read it back then.
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/1988/index.htm

But it worked out.  I used that stuff as the backdrop for superhero
campaign stories.  I got in to gaming conventions free for years with
it.  And the contributors live on in my storyline.  Vice-President
Crusher Joe and Leo the Pirate Vampire King originated back then.
Though I admit to some creative license on both of them.

> Anyway, thread idea (slash lazy way for me to find some stories to
> reread this weekend)-- what are some of your favorite LNH stories
> that came from your own pen (er, keyboard)?

LNH...  well, you're voting on them for RACCies this year.

As for everything else...  Wow, I really have been at this for a while.
  I lose track of how many cycles my fiction has gone through.  One
cycle started in 2004, when I declared a dystopia in 2011... *and then
in 2011 I wound up there!*
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2004/politics.htm ... I'll never do
anything like that story cycle again, and I never want to.  Hence, the
Powernaut.  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/

But I'm proud of it all, because I refuse to throw *any* of it out.  Not
even 1988.

I know. - Archie Andrews