SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1962 #7: Here Come the Reds!

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 16:12:03 PDT 2013

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:38:49 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> On 03/19/2013 08:03 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
>
>> But people always tell me I'm too consistently
>> positive, so I thought I'd bring up a criticism. `-`
>
> Well, all right then.  I guess I'm the right one to experiment on.  8{D>

You definitely are - I can't think of anyone else on here who's more
laid-back, except possibly Russ.

>> My problem is saying that *every* civilization
>> other than Earth is like that. Which is another science fiction pet peeve -
>> saying that Earth is the only civilization with diversity, and every other
>> civilization has their Single Meaningful Attribute, and not even one of
>> them can have the level of disagreement and debate that we do.
>
> Ah, now I see.  Well, every First Contact story that happens *on Earth*
> has that sort of problem.  The aliens are moving freely through the
> Galaxy, taking any planet they want, so:  (1) Why do the aliens care
> about humans or Earth?  (2) What makes the humans able to prevail or
> even survive?

I'm thinking less about first contact and more about stuff like Star Trek,
where we're a member of a big community.

> Powernaut comics are no exception, because *something*
> made Queezl the Saucer Alien move to our planetary neighborhood to raise
> his family.  But I'll try not to fall too far into that trope.

Certainly! Some special-ness is quite fun! The trick, of course, is to make
*everyone* special in their own ways.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, super special sauce