SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1962 #7: Here Come the Reds!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Mar 20 12:38:49 PDT 2013

On 03/19/2013 08:03 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:

> But people always tell me I'm too consistently
> positive, so I thought I'd bring up a criticism. `-`

Well, all right then.  I guess I'm the right one to experiment on.  8{D>

> My problem is saying that *every* civilization
> other than Earth is like that. Which is another science fiction pet peeve -
> saying that Earth is the only civilization with diversity, and every other
> civilization has their Single Meaningful Attribute, and not even one of
> them can have the level of disagreement and debate that we do.

Ah, now I see.  Well, every First Contact story that happens *on Earth*
has that sort of problem.  The aliens are moving freely through the
Galaxy, taking any planet they want, so:  (1) Why do the aliens care
about humans or Earth?  (2) What makes the humans able to prevail or
even survive?  Powernaut comics are no exception, because *something*
made Queezl the Saucer Alien move to our planetary neighborhood to raise
his family.  But I'll try not to fall too far into that trope.