SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1962 #7: Here Come the Reds!

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 20:03:00 PDT 2013

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 02:43:41 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> On 3/18/2013 10:22 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 01:45:46 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>>
>>> In other species, either the individuals have all
>>> responsibility and power, or the group does.  Only humans argue over
>>> which.
>>
>> Augh, I hate this trope, hate hate hate >:/ It doesn't make any sense!
>> There's no civilization on Earth that acts like this, and if the aliens
>> have minds that are at all similar to humans, which they do, they wouldn't
>> either! Graaaaaaaaaaaah
>>
>> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, raeg
>
> Sorry, Andrew, but in my world that's how it's going to be.

Oh sure! It's your story. <3 But people always tell me I'm too consistently
positive, so I thought I'd bring up a criticism. `-`

> My own science fiction pet peeve is aliens that aren't really alien.  So
> I try to keep my aliens alien.  I figure I'm already stretching
> probability to the breaking point, by having natural forces on a distant
> solar system produce even *one* being who can have a philosophy
> discussion with the Powernaut.  Giving that species anything *like* a
> human government with checks and balances would just be unbelievable.

See, that's not my problem. My problem is saying that *every* civilization
other than Earth is like that. Which is another science fiction pet peeve -
saying that Earth is the only civilization with diversity, and every other
civilization has their Single Meaningful Attribute, and not even one of
them can have the level of disagreement and debate that we do.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, it gets annoying.