SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1962 #7: Here Come the Reds!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Mar 19 19:43:41 PDT 2013

On 3/18/2013 10:22 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 01:45:46 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> In other species, either the individuals have all
>> responsibility and power, or the group does.  Only humans argue over
>> which.
>
> Augh, I hate this trope, hate hate hate >:/ It doesn't make any sense!
> There's no civilization on Earth that acts like this, and if the aliens
> have minds that are at all similar to humans, which they do, they wouldn't
> either! Graaaaaaaaaaaah
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, raeg

Sorry, Andrew, but in my world that's how it's going to be.

My own science fiction pet peeve is aliens that aren't really alien.  So
I try to keep my aliens alien.  I figure I'm already stretching
probability to the breaking point, by having natural forces on a distant
solar system produce even *one* being who can have a philosophy
discussion with the Powernaut.  Giving that species anything *like* a
human government with checks and balances would just be unbelievable.

I know. - Archie Andrews