LNHY: Looniverse Y #12: "Punk Frock"

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 18:17:06 PDT 2013

                          _____        _____
                          \    \      /    /
                           \    \    /    /
                            \    \  /    /
                             \    \/    /
                              \        /
                               \      /

   L      O      O      N      I      V      E      R      S      E

                               |     |
                               |     |
                               -------

                             N U M B E R

                             T W E L V E

[ The cover shows the System Corrupters playing on-stage in a small
  underground bar with graffiti and slogans all over the walls.
  Exciting Leather Strap-On Lass is on guitar, the New System
  Corrupters Member Detector is on synth, and Kid Enthusiastic-Y is
  wailing into the mike with an even more enthusiastic expression on
  his face than usual. ]

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY         Looniverse Y         YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

                             "Punk Frock"

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY         Looniverse Y         YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Kid Enthusiastic-Y stood inside the Ultimate Control Room, looking into
a full-length mirror. He was wearing a spiffy new costume. A purple
faux-leather jacket, with an anarchy symbol inside a heart sewed on the
left shoulder. Underneath, a midnight blue T-shirt with a giant Y in
golden thread on the chest. Bright red jeans with streaks across them
the color of dried blood. He tapped a pair of huge, '90s-style
wraparound sunglasses against his hand thoughtfully.

"Is this cool, or trying too hard?" He shrugged. "Eh, it'll either
impress them or make them underestimate me. Either way I win!" He
slipped them on and a heads-up display resolved inside his eyes. With a
telepathic command, it opened up an email. He activated his
rocketskates, zipping down the dark empty corridors, and wrote.

| Okaa-mom! Otou-dad! Hi!

You won't believe what happened in America! I became a bad guy! <3 I am
now the leader of my VERY OWN net.villain team! |

He slid into the Anteroom of Doom, where Exciting Leather
Somethingorother Lass was sitting behind the receptionist's desk. The
New System Corrupters Member Detector was sitting on it, and Kid E-Y
scooped it up. "Heya, Exciting Lass! Ready?"

She sighed, standing up. "I would never be unready to leave such a
demeaning position."

"Sorry 'bout that! We'll hire a new one when we steal our first
million!"

She smiled. "As you say, so shall it happen, my liege."

<:Enough chit-chat!:> squawked the NSCMD. <:Let's hurry up and finally
find some more members!:>

"Right!"

| I hope we get to fight something cool, like giant robots. I think we
will, because the President was on TV the other day talking about
building giant robots to fight terrorists. Do net.villains count as
terrorists? I dunno, I don't like President Notanalien as much as the
last guy.

I've only got a couple members right now, but we're going to get more.
I know that if you run a net.villain team you're supposed to recruit
criminals or whatever, but It turns out that there are a lot of people
who are in jail for really stupid reasons, so it works out! |

They took a giant mole-shaped digging machine underground. Exciting
Lass operated the drills, while Kid E-Y took the navigation. He
directed them right under The State Net.ropolis Is In State Women's
Penetentiary.

"Time?" shouted Kid E-Y, activating the heat sensor, prisoners, guards,
staff showing up as tiny blips.

<:Twelve-thirty-five and fourteen seconds,:> said the New System
Corrupters Member Detector.

| Like the lady we're breaking out today. The Adult Fascists wanted her
to join, but because they were bugging her about it, she turned them
down. Then two weeks later a SWAT team raided her office and found
heroin! |

Above, inmates were playing basketball or milling around the yard. One
was off to the side, running a lap and determinedly trying to ignore
the guard shouting at her.

"C'mon, Malloy! Put your back into it! Double-time!"

| But when I visited the police station during Officer Appreciation
Day, I looked in the evidence locker and it wasn't even heroin! It was
a bag of sugar! It was all I could do to bake a cake with it and give
it to the officers before I left! |

"She will come around to the prepared position in eighteen seconds,"
said Exciting Lass, adjusting a dial.

"Set ground to perfect friction!" Kid Enthusiastic-Y grabbed a huge
switch and yanked it down. A hatch opened in the roof of the craft, and
an enormous orange pillow inflated below it.

She was gasping. The guard laughed, harshly, tiredly. "Okay, Malloy,
that's enough. Fall in!"

She stopped - and fell in, disappearing into the ground.

| Anyway! She'll be a pretty great addition to the team, I think. She
has this sort of psychic power that gets an imprint off an object
somebody's touched a lot, and then she can see where they are and
what's around them. Useful, right? |

With a swish! she fell right onto the pillow. Kid E-Y shouted "Reverse
friction!", yanking the switch upward. He tossed a small blue ball
through the hatch and shut it.

High above, everyone had come running, and the guards were in a heated
discussion about what happened. None of them noticed the blue ball worm
its way out of the ground and sit, innocently, in the packed dirt.

| The only tricky part, I think, will be showing her why she wants to
join up. |

"Wh-- hey! What's the idea? Who are you people?" Exciting Lass noted
that she was of the type of woman who made themselves bigger, not
smaller, when threatened. She approved.

"Hullo!" said Kid Enthusiastic-Y, hopping down from the hatch. "Nora
Malloy, right?"

"Who wants to know?" She scooted back on the pillow, sliding off it as
best she could without taking her eyes off of them.

"Oh, right, duh. Hello! We're the System Corrupters!"

"Ahhhhh, right," she said. "I've heard of you. You--" She pointed at
Exciting Lass. "Yeah, you were in the papers for sleepin' with the
county comissioner's wife, and this here--" She pointed to Kid E-Y. "Is
your illegitimate child from your marriage to 'Shoeshine' Joe Vitelli!
You're trying to use me to break into the City Museum and steal the
Klopman Diamond so you can use it to focus a giant freezing laser that
you're gonna ransom the city with!"

"Er, no, we--"

"Well, it won't work, see!" She dodged to the side, holding her hand
over a complicated console covered in shiny, candylike buttons. "Nobody
move or I set it off!"

"..."

"...you are aware," said Exciting Lass, raising an eyebrow, "that if
you desired coffee you could have simply asked for it?"

Nora looked, side-eye, at the console. She reached out and tapped one
of the buttons, and a cup dropped into a handy hopper, filling with
something that smelled like hazelnut mocha. She grabbed the cup and
sipped it suspiciously. "Hnh. I don't bribe *that* easy."

Kid E-Y tossed her two sugar packets. She dumped them in, stirred, and
sipped. "That's better. Okay, so if you're not trying to take over for
the mob, what *are* you doing?"

"Well, ma'am, we were going to corrupt the system, but the problem is,
it's already corrupted! So we're going to smash it instead!"

"Ah, anarchists, is it? Not exactly my cup of tea."

"Oh, did you want tea instead? We've got..." Kid E-Y opened up one of
the drawers and pulled out a box of Earl Grey.

"...you're precious, y'know that? But forgive me if I don't really
believe in political causes anymore." She frowned, gazing off into the
distance. "I used to think that there was something worth fighting for.
Maybe not the world, but maybe my city." She shook her head. "That was
a long time ago. Now, I'm just lookin' out for number one."

"Oh, I'm sorry!" chirped Kid Enthusiastic-Y. "We can put you back if
you want!"

"...well, I mean, that's not to say I'm *opposed* to looking out for
number two for a while."

Kid E-Y giggled. "Heeheehee, number two..."

Nora scratched her head. "So, ah, what precisely does 'smash the
system' even mean?"

"Oh, you know! Robbing banks, kidnapping people, flipping the bird at
the police."

"Kidnapping?" Nora raised an eyebrow.

"Well, we technically kidnapped you."

"Ahhhh, gotcha."

"By the way, what's 'the bird'?"

<:Enough!:> trumpeted the New System Corrupters Member Detector. <:Nora
Malloy of Planet T-Bone, you have the choice to join the forces of
CHAOS and VILLAINY! DO YOU ACCEPT!:>

Nora looked around. "Hmmmm... can I back out if things go south?"

<:NO!:> said the NSCMD.

"Sure!" said Kid E-Y.

The machine fumed.

"But don't tell anybody, okay? Some of the other people we're gonna
pick up are real hardcore and we don't want 'em thinking I'm soft or
anything!" And then he actually winked at her.

She had to giggle. "Okay, okay, I'm in."

"Awesome! Here's your costume!" He handed her a wrapped package. "Sorry
it's so dark, but, y'know, villains."

"Costume? Oh, boy. Kid, I'm not a net.hero."

"Indeed not," said Exciting Lass disdainfully. "You are a net.villain,
and as such, having a secret identity is considerably more important.
Criminals do not usually give out their names and faces if they can
help it."

"Plus c'mon! We're *symbols*!" Kid E-Y bounced excitedly. "That's
totally part of the plan!"

"Yeah, okay, okay..." While she slipped behind a changing screen
provided by Exciting Lass, he flipped switches and pushed buttons, and
the mole machine moved, tunneling back across the city.

"By the way," he shouted, "your codename is Public Eye!"

"Man, really?" She stepped out in a sleek black number covered by a
wide wool peacoat. An open, staring eye was over her chest, split in
two by the coat's zipper. "Hey, what is this plan, anyway? You're going
to build up an army and take over the world?"

Kid E-Y laughed. "Nope!" He grinned with the confidence of someone who
*knows* they're a genius. "We're gonna take over the *culture*!"

| Anyway, I'd better get going. But, um, can I ask you guys for
something? Just... nah, never mind. You're already gonna do it anyway!
<3 Thanks! |

And as the mole machine left radio range, the blue ball they'd left
behind exploded. It would later be reported as "harmless", but the
guards didn't think so - not when every uniform of every prisoner was
emblazoned with a streak of graffiti that proclaimed "PROPERTY OF THE
SYSTEM CORRUPTERS".

| See you in the newspapers!

Your loving son,
James Yasashiku Preponderation |

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY         Looniverse Y         YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Author's Note: This story was primarily inspired by a song which, I
feel, represents the tone I often strive to hit in my stories:
https://soundcloud.com/pomdeterrific/pomdeter-call-me-a-hole Consider
it Kid E-Y's magical girl transformation theme.

The tone I'm trying to hit with this story is punk. (Naturally, after I
do a story with hippies!) But it's not punk anger; it's punk joy, the
fierce happiness of taking down The Man. Which, I think, is a lot
stronger and a lot longer-lasting.

Nora Malloy/Public Eye created by Emma McGill. Yes, that's a pen name.
No, it is not just me.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, gun versus awesome.