HCC36: Secret Identity Discovered

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 19:10:59 PST 2013

And before you say, hey, this will be kinda easy, I don't mean secret identities as in, "secretly Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter."

Instead, the challenge is to write a story in which a character pretends to be something he or she isn't either for reasons of personal safety or personal advancement. If the discoverer of said identity were able to go public with this information, our hero or heroine would stand to lose everything, perhaps even their life.

Some examples to show you what I mean/get your creative juices flowing:

-- French aristocrats passing for commoners during the revolution
-- Solomon Perel, a Hitler Youth who was secretly Jewish
-- Women pretending to be men
-- Spies pretending to be citizens of an enemy country
-- Aliens pretending to be humans
-- Humans passing for robots

Etc., etc.

It's a trope that I think works for any genre (including superheroes), so see what you can do with it.

Deadline is April 4th, and as usual, subject to change. ;-D