META: Nemesis as opposite, nemesis as mirror

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Jul 21 16:05:09 PDT 2013

On 7/20/2013 7:52 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
>       Obviously, I work from a somewhat different taxonomy, as outlined here:
> http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/ASH/Journal1
>
>       I suppose the type of one's nemesis will depend on what kind of hero you
> are.  For some, it requires a True Villain, but others may find their best
> fit in a victim of circumstance (i.e. the "there go I but for the grace of
> God" thing), or even a misguided crusader.
>
>       Dave Van Domelen, feels another Journal entry coming on....

One thing not mentioned yet:  Who says a hero's nemesis has to be a villain?

In my own stories, the line between hero and villain is kind of blurry.
  Ellipsis has been called both.  And he's the closest thing Wyatt
Ferguson has to a nemesis.  Admittedly, archrival might be a better
term, because neither one wants to hunt down the other.  But they always
have different approaches to the same problem, and they often confront
each other.

Mainstream comics have some hero-on-hero nemesis action too - or at
least some blurry lines between hero and villain.  In X-Men comics, the
arch-nemesis right now is (of all people) Cyclops.  In one of the Marvel
Knights series, Daredevil made it his business to hunt down the
Punisher.  And back in Jim Shooter's Defiant Comics, the hero
Charlemagne had the hero War Dancer as his nemesis - and War Dancer
didn't even know it.

We all know Batman, Superman, Lex Luthor, and the Joker have nemesis
relationships.  Sometimes it's a four-way relationship; they each do
things differently, and they've each fought each other too often to
count.  The only consideration is circumstance; for instance, Superman
decided early on not to hunt the Batman.

I know. - Archie Andrews